1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Government Panel Suggests Depression Testing For U.S. Teens

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by panda, Mar 30, 2009.

1. panda

2. That is a pretty big number. I don't doubt it for a second though.

3. Lychee

It seems pretty accurate.

4. Greggers

Anyone who does not have depression is on a high dose of drugs and cant physically feel emotions anymore.

Trufax.

5. Stuie

Unsurprising really but still an incredible figure.

6. Emberstone

I spend most of my life depressed. I am a bit bummed about the speeding ticket I got *from a police office who has been suspended many times for setting up speed traps to farm tickets*

5 miles over the speed limit when I was coming down a hill marked 35 on my breaks doing 30 slowing down for the 25 mph zone, and he tickets me when he appears out of nowhere, turns his light on before i even hit the 25 mph zone, and says i was doing 45 in a 25.

guy, I should challange the ticket and have his badge taken away. expacially when he checks my information, including my registration, and asked me if I stole the car. ITS ALL ON THE REGISTRATION IDIOT!

7. djt820

Cops are pigs. They try to find something to ticket. Useless hags...
    Though, I believe depression can exist, I really doubt its that high. People just think theyre depressed and call it depression...:confused:

8. Jim1454

The truth lies somewhere in between, me thinks...

Is everyone actaully depressed? No. Life presents all of us with ups and downs, and some people are better able to deal with them than others. Some people definitely do suffer from depression - some times situational, some times physical / chemical. But I think some young people say they are 'depressed' but don't really understand how it feels to be truly depressed.

But are more people depressed than most people would think? Yes. Most people don't suffer from depression, and as a result they don't really understand what it's like. Just like if you're straight, you really can't know what it's like to be gay. So I don't doubt for a minute that more youth than we think suffer with depression. And I'm glad to see something is going to be done about it...

9. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

First off, remember EC is a welcoming place.

Second, cops are not pigs. They're officers of the law who are here to serve, protect, and enforce the law. They're not animals. That is just personal prejudice. I'd appreciate it if you didn't personally attack them as not all are 'Useless Hags' or 'Pigs'. Just because you have one bad experience doesn't mean they're all nasty or worthless. They're just as human as you and they make mistakes. There are some members of the law enforcement here on EC, and I'm sure they don't feel too welcomed after hearing that, now do they? Please think before you speak unless you have factual information to back up your claims because that is just slanderous libel.

That would be akin to having one bad experience with a gay guy and saying all were flaming cock mongers who selfishly convert young children into their own kind to breed disease amongst the heterosexual masses.

And that sounds sooooo true doesn't it? :roflmao::roflmao:

Then perhaps you're living a very good life. A lot of teenagers are depressed and High Schoolers are a very high percentage along with college students because of societal, collegiate, workplace and familiar hardships. Life throws many curve balls. Not everyone lives 'Happily Ever After.' For the most part, a large amount of people cannot express depression. Some will even hide it, but it doesn't mean it's not there. You breath oxygen but you don't see it normally, right? You can't see Carbon Dioxide, but it still kills you right? If a tree falls in the forest with no one around, does it make a sound? :dry:

Thank you. :eusa_naug

#9 The Enigma, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  10. Just Adam

i suffer from depression and i dislike anyone saying it doesent exist its horrid every moment looking at the world and its bleak grey nothing seems worth it every day is pointless feeling no happyness i feel loathing for myself 90% of my day the rest i just feel blank. its horrid the constant stress and anxiety constantly on edge worrying about everything never comfortable hateing beeing around othes for fear of them and judgement are they looking at me why and going through so many thoughts and horrid possibilities in your head all the time thinking how horrid and dark this world can be. the antidepressants dont help they make you emotianally flatline helping me see there is beauty but then im dragged back down when they wear off. sorry for ranting but im just so fed up of people thinking depression is just a minor thing.

11. Colly

Depression is also often left undiagnosed for years. So this idea isn't such a bad thing - it just needs to be implemented well.

12. Just Adam

it wont be though they never are lol

13. djt820

....And commit purgury when it supports the state's case....
    Cops dont protect people like they should. They TRY and get people in trouble. If you ever talk to a cop, expect them to be finding a way to hit you up on some crime (That most likely you didnt commit). And for the record, Ive NEVER had a bad experiance personally with a cop but I know what theyre capable of and they take advantage of it.

14. djt820

Those vague metaphors make no sense. Now Im no expert on depression but I have a strong believe that not that many people have depression. Theres a difference between short term sadness and depression. People are sad all the time but that doesnt mean theyre depressed. A high schooler can be sad many many many times. Believe me, Im still in it, but they arent depressed. Depression goes deeper than sadness and really fucks with your life mentally and physically. My mother is a depressed person when shes not on her meds. She doesnt get out of bed and she doesnt talk to anyone about anything. Thats depression. Not 'Oh, my BF broke up with me, Im gonna go sulk and listen to Linkin Park'.

15. Jim1454

You know a lot about cops for someone that is 16 and who has never personally had a bad experience with one...

You might want to watch how you generallize. You're suggesting that ALL cops are dishonest and unethical. And that simply isn't the case. Some are - just like some people in every profession are. But to suggest ALL are is just like - as someone has already pointed out - saying that ALL gays are sex crazed pedophiles. Is that a fair statement to make? No.

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Cops are pigs. They try to find something to ticket. Useless hags...
    Though, I believe depression can exist, I really doubt its that high. People just think theyre depressed and call it depression..

Having gotten to know a couple cops (including having gone on an ridealong), and gotten to know more than a couple people who have suffered from depression (myself included), I'm going to go ahead and duly register my disagreement with both statements. But that's all. I welcome your dissent. :slight_smile:

Lex

17. wherewulfe

fuck now im another statistic.....

18. Derek the Wolf

I never like hearing these things.
    It's completely understandable though. :frowning2:

19. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Those are terrible accusations. Okay, let me point something out here. You say you've never had a bad experiance (actually, it's experience) with a cop....but you somehow know they're all out to get you? You already know they are corrupt people trying to throw you in the slammer? That doesn't make sense. Do you listen to everything you see on TV or something? You have NO experience with what you just described them as. Have you ever had the above happen to you? Not all cops are like that and you need to learn that. Really, it's very sad to hear someone trash talk cops without any probable or reasonable evidence.

Maybe your aunt, uncle, brother was locked up and you're angry. Maybe not. But know that you have as much credibility as those teenagers who say "I was only doing 60 in a goddamn 45...Stupid cops are fucking evil." Of course they're going to ticket you. Of course they're going to take you in if you're drunk behind the wheel. Of course they're going to TAKE ACTOIN if you're doing something illegal. It's their job. Anyone who says otherwise is most likely committing a crime and wants to dodge it. Take responsibility.

Here's an old one for you: "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time." Easy, pure and simple. It's not a hard concept to grasp either.

They aren't vague. They're practical and have nearly the same credibility as yours. What I was doing is called generalizing, stereotyping, and slandering someone. It's the same thing you did.

"That would be akin to having one bad experience with a gay guy and saying all were flaming cock mongers who selfishly convert young children into their own kind to breed disease amongst the heterosexual masses."

So, lemme ask you, do you believe that?

It sounds like your mom needs medical and psychological help. Maybe you should help her instead of telling us. She is your mom. If she blows up, breaks down, or happens to leave you--you know what? You're screwed out of a mom. Seriously, you only get one. (in most cases) It's just as much your problem. Breaking up with a partner you're emotionally connected to is much like getting your penis snipped off. It'll never work properly the way it used to. It's deformed, gone, destroyed and piece of you will never grow back.

Again, Linkin' Park is another stereotype.

Before refuting and spitting on the good names of officers of the United States, please get some real experience under your belt. You're 16, have no bad experiences, yet you talk as if you do. Not only that, but you are very, very wrong.

You're also incorrect about depression. You're no doctor, nor am I but you're as good as invalidating peoples depression. You can't always see depression. Please do some research and make an informed and credible reply before you post. Educate yourself, please.

20. JakeBHT

Whats the point in testing? When if people feel bad enough they go to the doctors anyway?