1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IUD insertion failed, now what?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Asexual Pirate, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I went to the gynecologist for the first time last month for a pap smear. Long story short, that went horribly and I tensed up so badly that the doctor was afraid I was going to tear something on the speculum. After that horror story, I went back today to get an iud.

This is my first experience with birth control, I'm still a virgin and have never been sexually active. However, I am also a survivor of child abuse. I was super nervous about today and tried to practice a bunch of breathing exercises to help me through. When we finally got to the procedure, the gynecologist tried four times to get the little sucker up my cervix, but couldn't get passed my internal os. It hurt like hell and I didn't handle it very well. She's having me reschedule the appointment to try again with a medication to dilate my cervix.

Now I'm both shaky and hurting. I cried for a solid ten minutes after the failed procedure and couldn't figure out why. It wasn't 'cause of the physical pain. I mean, that really hurt, but I've always been good at bearing pain (I will bitch about it all the way through, but my pain tolerance is high, courtesy of my asshole father). I'm scared and unsure how to proceed from here. Any suggestions, advice, commiseration?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ick, that sounds awful. I'm so sorry you dealt with this experience, It's not any fun when medical exams are painful.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you need to use an IUD if you are not sexually active? I myself have to take birth control to manage my PMDD, but I wasn't qualified to get a IUD since it doesn't control the ovulation hormones. If you're taking it for similar reasons, maybe you can find a different type of BC?

3. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm getting married soon, so I'm planning to become sexually active in the near future. I went with the iud because I do not plan on having children.