1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

self harm

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by chloejayde, Dec 9, 2016.

1. chloejayde

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Everyone will probablly think im weird after this. Does anyone do sexual things to hurt themselves? Especially hurting their private area? Thanks for reading.

2. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi:

People can self-harm in lots of ways and I would assume that harming yourself sexually is on the spectrum.

If you need help with this issue, please see a physician or a mental health professional.

(*hug*)

3. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi chloejayde,

Anything you do that harms your body intentionally is: self harm. And the more you do it, the harder it gets to stop. This is because self harm initially sends opiate type chemicals to your brain, thereby "easing" whatever emotional pain that drove the behavior. In short, it becomes addictive.

As wickedwitch mentioned, please see a counsellor or therapist to get help in stopping this behavior. It takes time, but it can be done.

Good luck,

Sebby45

4. chloejayde

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks, sorry I haven't replied sooner. I've been to scared to log on and see replies so avoided it.
    I am under the care of a community mental health team already and they are aware ta
    t I self harm in a number of ways.
    I just wanted to know if anyone else hurts there private areas because j feel very embarassed and alone with it. Thanks again

5. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I might overshare or be blunt, but that is what health is about. Also, I don't really care for or really understand social situations. Just remember that I am not a professional, I am merely sharing my experiences and advice.

I personally find hitting myself on the genitals with a clean object to be pleasurable. This is probably for both the shock and temporary pain. Besides that, I don't really harm my private areas, but I usually cut myself very near private areas before or at a "break" in masturbating. It helps me relax, set the mood, and feel pleasure through other means. I can't really explain it, but most people can't explain what pain and pleasure do to them to someone else.

I don't know exactly what sexual thing you are doing to hurt yourself, but I can give some general advice: Your private areas can be delicate and/or become infected, so you should be careful where and how you harm yourself.

If what you are doing is more internal than not, then unless it is your goal, remember to be careful not to tear or cause too much damage. I don't know exactly which way you would achieve that, but make sure that your hands or whatever else are clean before you start anything internal.

If its something like hitting your genitals (or breast tissue), then that isn't that odd either. Just take a good look at what sexual intercourse involves. I enjoy the pressure it puts on certain areas, but that's me.

I'm trying not to assume whether this is more about sexual gratification or mainly something else. For all I know, this could be just the place you like to self-harm and doing sexual things to do so is simply a product of where you are harming yourself. I can't judge or pretend to know. That is for you to know or say.

Just make sure to take care of any injuries afterwards and don't let embarrassment get in the way of going to a medical professional if you think that there is something concerning. Your health and feelings are what is important here, so don't let anyone's opinions override that.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We often think of self harm as cutting, but as a previous poster mentioned, it takes many forms and can occur anywhere on the body.

Is there a pattern to the self harming? In other words, do you harm yourself in a sexual way in response to certain feelings or emotions? Have you discussed this with the CMHT?

Self harm is usually a coping mechanism, but it's not a very healthy one. Have you explored the possibility of less injurious coping mechanisms with anyone?

Don't feel embarrassed to talk about it. Silence doesn't help one bit -- if anything, it makes matters worse.