1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

She gave me an STD, I fear more to come.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ank11451, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Ank11451

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had sex with a girl I barely know ( I am so ashamed ) I've only had sex with someone I didn't know once before and that was in college:/. So I fingered her,she fingered me, and we made out a total of 3 times, on the fourth time I gave her oral. I woke up with a yellow blister on my lip the other day and texted her about it, she then proceeded to tell me that she has a cold sore before and could give me medicine to take care of it and that it's not a big deal, then she said she had hpv which also isn't a big deal. I'm FREAKING OUT!! I obviously got hsv1 ( oral herpes) or a cold sore from her but now I'm scared that I also got genital herpes from her too because she lubricated her fingers with her spit before she put them inside of me. Does anyone know if you can contract hsv2 through saliva on fingers ? Please help!!! I'm getting blood testing next week but the anticipation is killing me.

2. YeahpIdk

First, I am really sorry to hear that you're going through this. What that girl did to you by not telling you about her status was incredibly cruel and senseless. You should see if you can sue her or something. I don't think people should be able to get away with having casual sex with people and giving them an STD, at the same token, it's your job to ask before engaging. It is so, so messed up that she didn't say something before - but this is why, in the future, you NEED to ask. She seemed really forthcoming with them after the fact. and I'm not going to lecture you, but for next time, definitely ask your partner what's going on. If you can't have an honest conversation like that before sex, don't have sex.

Herpes, I'm not 100% sure, but if she did have a sore or was in the process of getting one, then her saliva could transfer the virus - if I'm not mistaken. However, it's kind of slim. Slimmer than making out with her and getting a sore or receiving oral and getting a sore because of the constant skin to skin and fluid swapping. How long was it after this crust thing formed? I think it takes 10 days for it to show symptoms if it will. It doesn't happen overnight.

HPV is another story. Many, MANY people have HPV and don't even know it. You won't always get warts, but you could, or you could get the kind that causes cell changes. There's no blood test for that. That's something you need to be checked for during a papsmear. And unless you get something on your face/in your mouth that can be tested, you won't know. HPV is a skin to skin thing, which is similar to herpes, but the difference is that herpes can be transmitted through fluids, whereas HPV cannot. So unfortunately, even with someone who doesn't appear to have anything or test positive for it (many test negative even when it's dormant in them), anyone can give anyone HPV. BUUUUT, it's still something to be careful and watch out for. And again, she's fucked in the head for not telling you prior, so you could make an informed decision.

I imagine this is really hard right now. And that's fine and normal. Many people do have HPV and so have herpes. You're not alone. You won't have to be alone. But you will have to take care of yourself and your body and any partner in the future's body by being upfront and communicative.

I hope your test comes out clean, but even if it doesn't, it won't be the end of the world. There are meds and ways to treat this stuff. Good luck, and I hope you feel better.

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2016 at 08:48 PM ----------

Also, I follow this chick on Twitter. She has herpes and talks very openly about it! She's a writer, TED Talker and all around cool as heck chick.

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all sorry that this is happening to you, the girl attitude has been and is quite crap and I get totally get your frustation. Do try not to panick though. (&&&)

HSV and HPV are two very common STDS to the point that most people in the population have or will have them so you are definetely NOT the only one in this situation. Getting an STD can and is scary but herpes is mostly an inconvenience in the grand scheme of things ( HPV is a bit more worrying though as, while it's common, it can also be the source of cancer, are you vaccinated by any chance ?).
    What you need to know about herpes first is that you cannot find it in your blood but in your nervous system which is why herpes is only detectable through a swab and not blood test (you definitely should do a blood test though) and isn't currently curable.
    What you also need to know though is that HSV-1 and HSV-2 are TWO different type of herpes that tend to stay in their own area (mouth for HSV1 and genitals for HSV2). If you get genital herpes from someone with HSV1 via oral sex or else, you would be getting HSV1 on your genitals not HSV2, there isn't much difference really but it may just influence the amount of outbreak you may have to go through in your life.

Transferring HSV1 to the genitals or HSV2 to the mouth is quite rare (as like I said they like to keep to their area) and happens mostly through oral sex, so if the girl hasn't given you oral sex the chances of you getting genital herpes are lower (though not impossible).

You seem to be quite scared about developping genital herpes but really there is any difference between genital herpes and a cold sore as it's the exact same thing just in a different spot so don't let the stigma associated with it scare you off. Try and look at it in a positive light, because sure, it would be better not to have cold sores at all but if you are going to have them you may as well have them where people can't see them (or at least I think so :wink: ).

Obviously having herpes, even if it's HSV-1, means that you are going to have to be careful while having sex in the future. Nothing too drastic but from what I know, avoiding kissing and oral sex with your partner while a blister is visible or an outbreak is iminent ( I assume you would feel it ?) is a must as it is when you are most likely to spread it. If you were to develop genital herpes or simply getting too many outbreak know that there are a few medicines that you could ask to take on a daily basis to reduce the amount of outbreak and the risk of transmitting the disease to your future partners.

Overall, getting STDS, especially from a dishonest partner, is crap but it is NOT the end of the world. STDS have a massive stigma attached to them but most STDS (including AIDS) remain more desirable than cancer. So treat them like they are, a mere inconvenience because yes, nobody like being itchy or burning or whatever down there but there are worse things isn't there ? Whatever your diagnosis may be, it doesn't make you less attractive and desirable and less you.

So don't panic, you will be fine. :slight_smile:

Big hugs to you OP x (*hug*)

4. YeahpIdk

I've gotten tested for herpes many times through blood tests. Here's some information on that from Planned Parenthood that is also stated on Web MD:

herpes by performing a physical exam and tests. A blood test can tell if you are infected with oral or genital herpes — even if you don't have symptoms.

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2016 at 09:33 PM ----------

It is a virus that stays somewhere in the nervous system, but you can definitelybget your blood tested for herpes. I've gotten tested for herpes many times through blood tests. Here's some information on that from Planned Parenthood that is also stated on Web MD:

by performing a physical exam and tests. A blood test can tell if you are infected with oral or genital herpes — even if you don't have symptoms.

---------- Post added 15th Dec 2016 at 09:34 PM ----------

Eep. Didn't mean to post twice. It happened during the back up and I wrote a little more.