1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Does One Find a Therapist?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by warrior452, Dec 23, 2016.

1. warrior452

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This may seem like a dumb question, but:

I'm not out to my parents. There's a lot in my head that I need to talk to someone about. I have tried that route with my family, and have gotten shot down. Multiple people have suggested that that's not healthy and that I need to seek out a therapist or counselor. How does one go about doing that? Is that something that your primary care has to refer you to? I'm sure there's patient confidentiality stuff, but that does concern me as we've gone to the same doctor since I was like 16 or 17, and she knows my family really well. It's very small town, so everybody knows everything about everyone. I'm sure there's confidentiality stuff in place now that I'm no longer a minor (I'm 22 for those that don't know) but I'm still worried that my mom would see or hear something. Also, I pay for my share, but we're all on the same health insurance policy. Any help?

2. pd04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hey warrior! There's multiple ways you could go about this
    1-call your insurance company to get the names of places that take your insurance (recommended)
    2-google therapy places in your area (super easy if you have a smart phone)
    3-you could get referred by a PCP if the other 2 don't do anything
    There is the HIPPA law so your family wouldn't be able to find out unless you told the Dr it was okay they know.

3. tgboymom

Check out facilities online which are local to you. I find the best results come from an office that houses several therapists. In my experience, the first meeting is with the psychiatrist. He then chooses a therapist who seems right for you when you go to an office with several different people.

If you are worried about your parents finding out that you are seeing someone, it will be a problem because if you use your insurance, there will be a statement which lists that therapist (or office name). I wouldn't worry about that part. I think you are displaying a great deal of maturity by realizing that you need to talk to someone and understanding that a therapist would be your most productive option.

I say do it... and don't waste any time. I saw the same therapist for 5 years and I have to say that after each session, it felt cathartic.. as if I'd had an emotional enema because I could express myself without worrying about who I would offend. lol

Good Luck
    God Bless

4. CROSSY ROAD

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a therapist, but she doesn't help me as much as you'd think. Good luck finding one, though!

5. tgboymom

(((Crossy))) if she isn't helping you, it's ok to go to another. :slight_smile: A therapist is like a good pair of shoes. If they don't fit right, you can't go very far with them. :wink:

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've found all of mine online.

7. tgboymom

Please forgive me, Warrior. I thought this post was originated by Crossy and I addressed my answer that way.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Avoid a psychiatrist unless your issues are so severe that there's no possible way to not take medication for them. Psychiatrists are medical doctors trained to deal with brain diseases; unless a specific psychiatrist has gone to the trouble of getting a bunch of extra training, they don't get a lot of background in therapy, and their medical background often gets in the way of their approach to therapy.

Likewise, group practices that include psychiatrists tend to be more medically-focused and deal with more severe problems. But There are lots of practices with four or five therapists (psychologists or social workers) sharing office space; these aren't in the same category.

The problem with the listing from your insurance company is they tend to simply give you names and contact info and nothing else. Therapy isn't like getting your broken leg set; there are many different approaches and combination approaches, and so much has to do with the skill, experience, and personality of the therapist. So a list of names, or even a recommendation from a friend, isn't necessarily the best thing.

What I suggest is doing research. Psychology Today has a pretty comprehensive list of therapists throughout the US. You can see what a given therapist's area of specialty is, what sort of issues s/he treats, what type of training and approach is used.

If you want to explore the way you approach things and why you think the way you do, an insight, psychodynamic, existentialist or Gestalt therapist is a good choice. If you are looking for short-term solutions for anxiety or depression that don't really look at *why* the issue is occurring, cognitive-behavioral (CBT) (with a well-trained therapist) is a good choice. Most therapists are at least somewhat eclectic, but if you see one that mostly or exclusively uses one approach, especially CBT, that's usually not the best choice if you're seeking understanding.

Any competent therapist should be willing to spend 15 or 20 minutes with you by phone to see if it sounds like a good fit. Some will do a half-hour consultation (phone or office) without charge to explore whether it's the right choice for you. A good therapist will tell you if s/he doesn't think that his or her approach is the best for you... but there are a lot of lousy therapists also.

Don't be afraid to talk to 3 or 4 before you choose one. And don't be afraid to go for a few sessions, and try another if you don't feel like there's a good connection. And finally, don't worry about offending the therapist if it isn't a fit; a competent therapist will understand that it's an individual process and won't be offended if you don't feel it's a fit.

Lastly, don't be afraid to talk about money. Most therapists will work on sliding scale, so often, even if a therapist doesn't accept your insurance, s/he will give you a sliding scale price that allows you to pay a similar amount to what your insurance would pay.

Unlike any other form of medicine, this is one that is very individual, and you are entitled to ask for what you need, and to switch if you aren't getting what you need. A good therapist will challenge you, make you work, make you feel uncomfortable at times as difficult topics come up... but will also be totally supportive and encouraging.

9. Dare2bProud

After several years of failed in person therapy and the fact I am always relocating, I found my therapist through a certified online app. Online therapy has been great for me. I don't have to wait a week and internalize everything to later explode in a session. I can write whenever and she responds several times a day. We even video chat through the app. I've been talking to her for 6 months now. It's been a great service!

10. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with Chip.

Also, there are clinics specifically designed to deal with MI and therapy. Those places usually have more than one therapist on staff. Most likely you will be assigned to a therapist, but can switch if need be. The initial visit is a good time to ask your therapist about their background and what they specialize in. If you don't feel that they are qualified to handle your problems, or are just a bad fit personality wise, move on. Like Chip said, a good therapist will understand.

As for confidentiality, you have nothing to fear. As pd04 said, there is the HIPAA law which keeps all your medical history private, unless you designate someone else to access those files.

The only thing I am not sure of is how your insurance works, if those payments will show up as something your family could see. It would be worth a call to your insurance company and see about that, unless you already know the answer.

I can tell you that a good therapist is worth their weight in gold.

Best Wishes,

Sebby45

11. pd04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What is that app called? Does it cost money?