1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Considering getting IUD removed?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GayNarwhal, Jan 4, 2017.

1. GayNarwhal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm considering getting my IUD removed, and would be really grateful for any advice or experiences people have to offer :slight_smile: Reasoning and pros/cons listed below, but that's the gist of it.

I got an IUD put in last year after finding out I shouldn't take hormonal birth control because of an underlying health condition. I never thought twice about getting it as I'd been on the pill since I was 16 (am now 20, but originally went on the pill because I was on accutane, not for contraception) and was just used to being on birth control. Up until recently I identified as bi, but have been really questioning that for the past few months and am increasingly doubting whether I'd want to enter another relationship with a man and I don't like penetrative sex in any case. I've also seeing a girl I really like but it's only been a couple of months, so that's not a reason to keep or remove it in my eyes at this point.

For keeping it:
    -it was free as I got it while I'm living in the UK, and my home country (to which I'll be returning in a few months) does not have free birth control
    -it is good for another 4 years of protection
    -it's non-hormonal, so it's not really doing anything besides just existing as an object inside of me
    -I still sometimes feel like I might eventually meet the right guy and want protection at that point (even though I recognise that that is essentially just me not fully coming to terms with myself)

For getting rid of it:
    -I don't foresee myself having penetrative sex with a man in the near future so it's not really relevant?
    -it causes *really* heavy periods, like I'm not squeamish about blood but sometimes even I'm horrified
    -it increases the risk of ectopic pregnancy
    -removing it is also free while I'm here and might not be at home

Thank you in advance for any opinions/advice/stories!

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't have experience with this, but considering your reasons for keeping it and getting rid of it, it seems that your reasons for getting rid of it outweigh the the reasons for keeping it. You don't have penetrative sex right now, so why put yourself through the horrible periods that come with it? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm not really squeamish with blood either, but the way you described your horror made me a bit uncomfortable for you, lol.

I just got off my period. On the 2nd day, I cramped pretty badly. I went to the restroom and "gave birth" to what looked like 3 red baby squids. It was rather horrifying, to say the least.

#2 Anthemic, Jan 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  3. YeahpIdk

I've never had an IUD, but a few friends who did. They've all had bad experiences with them, though. You say you don't like penetrative sex in any case, so you don't have to worry about pregnancy, it seems. If they make your periods more tame though, and you get them really badly, it may be reason enough to keep it.

4. Poppy43

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Its totally upto you, but what I would advise is taking someone with you when you get it removed as it can hurt.My friend had hers removed and had to have two nurses one at either side holding her hands as it hurt that much.
    I'd also be asking for pain releif prior to getting it done.