1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex after having a hemorrhoid?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thoughtbubble, Jan 6, 2017.

1. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went to the doctor and I still have a hemorrhoid. It has been almost a month so I asked her how long does it take for it to go away. She told me they NEVER go away. Does this mean I can never have anal sex?

2. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi thoughbubble,

First, all humans have hemorrhoids. So, what is a hemorrhoid? They are a structure of blood vessels in the anal canal that help to pass stool and act as a cushion for the stool on its way out. What we often call "Hemorrhoids" are when the hemorrhoid becomes inflamed or swollen, or both. This is what causes the pain associated with hemorrhoids, as well as bleeding.

About 2/3 of the population will have problems with hemorrhoids at some point in their lives. An unhealthy diet can also contribute to this, but it's often caused by other things as well, such as medications.

I would suggest that if your hemorrhoids are not swollen or inflamed, and you are not experiencing any pain, then it is safe to resume anal sex. However, it must be done carefully and with LOTS of lube.

Your doctor is somewhat correct in that people who have had hemorrhoid issues tend to have reoccurrences at times, so, yes you will likely have this issue for the rest of your life. That doesn't mean it's a constant issue, but you will likely have to deal with it on and off for the rest of your life.

There are things you can do to improve this and reduce the chances of inflammation. A higher fiber diet is certainly one of them. Make sure to drink plenty of fluids (often dehydration contributes to hemorrhoids because dehydration causes constipation). So, a good diet high in fiber, lots of water, plenty of exercise, and overall good health should hopefully help here.

I know, hemorrhoids are a pain in the ass (pun intended!), and you'll likely just have to deal with it as so many of us do. But, it shouldn't interfere with anal sex unless you are experiencing the occasional inflammation.

Take care. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

3. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you so much for the response, my boyfriend [who only tops] has been completely understanding of everything and I didn't want to feel like I was lying when I told him we could be intimate once I'm better . Thank you

4. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If it's external and gets regularly inflamed you can ask your doctor to get it removed, the medical procedure is relatively simple and painless. Actually in most cases that's the recommended step because if the inflammation doesn't go away they tend to get much worse over time. However, don't get too pumped up about it, most of us have hemorrhoids and most of the time they're completely asymptomatic.

I'd also recommend you to take some lifestyle changes, be active, don't sit for too long, don't get constipated and eat fiber rich diet. Ask your doctor to help you with this.

5. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have an internal hemorrhoid. I am very active (usually run about 5 miles a day), but last month I was not eating healthy (like i usually do). I ate out a lot instead of eating my home cooked meals. My hemorrhoid isn't too bad. I now get the occasional blood after a wipe and pain (and i never feel like am empty). I am getting a colonoscopy because my stomach is not back to normal yet and the doctor does not know what it could be. So I am definitely watching what I eat. Thank you for the replies

6. meistro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    last summer I had a very severe hemorrhoid that had to be surgically removed. Pinkpanther might be right about the surgery being simple and painless but in my experience it was just the opposite. It took over two months to fully recover and I didn't poop for almost two weeks, probably because of the pain pills and the still unhealed area. I'm also a bottom and it was atleast 3 months after the surgery that I even felt comfortable at the thought of having sex. I don't mean to freak you out but I just wanted to be honest and tell you what you might expect. All cases are different though, surgery is usually the last resort and most of the time can be fixed without it.