1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-depressants causing suicidal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Old Soul, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been taking anti-depressants since October 2014. I initially started off taking 20 mg of Prozac and now I'm currently on 300 mg of Effexor and 150 mg of Wellbutrin. I've taken various ones in between. The only ones I haven't taken are Paxil and Zoloft. I think they're the cause for the recent spike in suicidal thoughts I've been having. It could also just be due to my current situation, which is real shitty. I feel like I haven't made any real progress in the 2 years I've been on anti-depressants. I've just been numb, lazy, and have lost interest in everything. It really makes me upset that I haven't accomplished much and don't seem to have much of a path going forward. Does anybody have any recommendations? I really need help. I feel like I'm losing my mind. :tears:

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2017 at 08:53 PM ----------

Oh wait, I forgot to add. I've also lost my sex drive. I think they've also caused me to be very forgetful as well...

2. Sky123

Hi Old soul stay strong,

I am not a doctor but if you are feeling like this. Could your doctor suggest alternative modes of treatment like CBT? May I also ask what events have made your situation worse? Through resolving this issue, could be a good starting point to you feeling better :slight_smile:

3. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Sky123,

Fortunately, I have an appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow. I've been seeing him since October 2015, but I feel like he doesn't quite know what medication to put me on now. He's tried almost everything.

As far as my current life situation, I feel trapped. I live with my family right now and I'm starting to really have the desire to move out on my own. Problem is, I'm currently unemployed. I also don't have my own car. No support group. I don't know what kind of job I'm looking for. I was in this exact same situation 2 years ago. :bang: My self-esteem is at rock bottom right now :icon_sad:

I was hoping the meds would give me the ability to stop being complacent and take action to getting my life back on the right track. I've been struggling with depression for the last seven years and I'm starting to feel hopeless. If things don't change real soon, I'm afraid of what I'm gonna do to myself. :icon_redf

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All of the symptoms you describe can be caused by the medications you're on. This is something you should definitely talk to your psychiatrist about in detail.

If your symptoms are primarily depression, I'm not sure why he's got you on two separate antidepressants. Granted, they are working on different neurotransmitter systems, but in the majority of cases, as I understand it, it is usually one or at the most two different neurotransmitters that are at the root of the problem. It might be worthwhile discussing his rationale for this with him; one of the issues that is pretty common is the more of these you mix together, the more likely that unexpected and unusual side effects can occur.

I wouldn't give up on meds, though. It can often take a dozen different variations of medications, dosages, and combinations to find something that works well, and it is pretty much trial-and-error as each medication effects each person differently.

I would, however, suggest that you should be getting therapy (if I were making the choice, I'd do some group and some individual) to work on the interpersonal issues that are getting in the way of your moving forward with your life. For you it sounds like there's a combination of motivation and depression that are likely impacted by the meds, with some cognitive and life-skills issues that won't be helped by the meds alone. This, too, would be something to discuss with your psychiatrist... though most psychiatrists aren't the most competent with understanding therapy, as the level of training and experience they have with it is usually somewhat limited.

5. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the info, Chip :slight_smile:

My depression is also caused by some other issues. I have anxiety about being openly gay with my family. I've never dated anyone, but I'd like to someday. I came out to them when I was 18, and it didn't go too well. There was nothing real ugly said or anything like that. Since then, I think my mom's come around. I haven't talked about it again with my family. It frustrates me a lot, but when I start thinking about being more open with them, I become paralyzed with fear. It feels like I've taken two steps back in a way...

I'm sure this has also gotten in the way of me being able to make new friends. I keep my guard up too often b/c I just don't know if I can handle being vulnerable.

It makes me cry sometimes when I think about how happy-go-lucky I was as a child and even into in my adolescent years. I feel like I'll never get that level of happiness back. I keep hoping that I'll find happiness again in my late twenties or early thirties, but I don't know. I have rarely been happy since I turned 18. It feels like my best years are behind me :icon_sad:

6. Lazuri

I've been on antidepressants for a couple of years as well. My dosage is not as high as yours, but I have periods where I just dip down and gain all the symptoms you describe for a period of time that can vary. Hopefully, it's only temporary for you as well--since you said this was fairly recent--but I'd still ask your doctor about it.

7. gchal00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Old Soul, first, THANK you for reaching out. That is critical. I have been on Celexa and Wellbutrin for over a decade. I also have panic attacks out of the blue. I still have symptoms and my psychiatrist told me it could take many more years to feel whole.

You are not alone. I am 55 BTW and feel much as you do. Remember that we just came out of the Holiday season, which is quite difficult for many. I also see a Therapist each week and often feel I can only truly communicate with her. In the real world this costs money; I get that. Not sure if you can be insured on your parent's plan. It is vital that you communicate 100% openly with your psychiatrist. I hate to suggest or advocate more meds, but if you have anxiety/panic attacks, you need a med to deal with that. I take Xanax. I am also on Adderall to help with motivation and focus. That's a lot. The good news is I finally feel like I'm no longer falling into the black pit. It has taken a long time and many changes in either meds or dosage levels. This is not a fast or precise process, unfortunately.
    Several of my Doctors told me medical science can't go that deep into your mind and body yet to give you the 'magic' treatment.

I know this is long winded. Last thing to address - sex drive. Dude I am so with you. These meds mess with your drive and your function, Bro. Not pleasant. Let your psych know every detail and see what they say. I saw my Urologist because I thought something might be wrong with me. Waste of money and time. He told me it's normal in men. At 55 I might believe that for 10 seconds. At your age no way. Speak to your primary care provider and again, don't hold back any of the deets. They may be able to help.

I hope this helps. If you have more q's, ask away. I'm here to help. Don't lose hope. You are not alone.

8. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great advice. I saw my psychiatrist on Monday and he said that I've just about tried almost every anti-depressant medication available for me. He said he would decrease the Effexor from 300 mg to 225 mg. He seemed to not really know what else to do. He also said I have very stubborn symptoms of depression. This frustrates me because I really want to feel happy again. It's not that everyday is miserable, I just feel blah alot and don't really care much about anything. Feeling like this is my permanent state of mind is what makes me contemplate suicide. Nobody wants to feel numb forever...

9. gchal00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I go through this every day myself. You can't let it define or defeat you. Maybe you should get a second opinion if your Psych is out of ideas; that's very for a doctor to say. What about your primary physician? Definitely see them!

Here's an idea my therapist has me do. Rate my depression level from 1 to 5, 5 being the worst. Not down anything you think causes or adds to why you gave that rating, booth good things and bad things. Do this every single day. You may notice patterns and triggers.

I record mine on a blank calendar with 30 days on it. You can download templates free online.

I have managed this for 30+ years. It is not easy, but you can do it. Look through the resources on this site. Maybe an Advisor can help you.

Stay in touch right here and let us know how you are doing. Ok? Peace.

10. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like what your therapist is doing with you. I just recently had to change insurance companies for the new year so I'm gonna have to find a new primary physician. I was just thinking earlier today that I should try and get a second opinion from another psychiatrist.

I'm not going to accept this state of mind that I'm currently in for the rest of my life. I never felt this way growing up, so I know it can't be something that I was born with. I know most of it is situational. I just thought anti-depressants would help give me the strength and courage to solve my problems.

I will continue posting/venting my feelings on this site. I've bottled up my feelings for so long so it's time for me to start opening up.

11. gchal00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Stay positive and move forward. A fresh perspective from a new Doc can be a game changer. Most of all, stay in touch with us. People do care, even we don't see you.

12. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you and everyone else for caring. And I will stay in touch. :slight_smile:

13. bunnydee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Old Soul,

I can tell you there hasn't been an antidepressant or anti-psychotic med that I haven't been on. If your pdoc is out of ideas, get to another pdoc for new ideas. I was diagnosed bipolar with psychosis at a young age. The only one I would never recommend trying or only as a last resort is Zoloft or Risperdal, both have major issues if you ever have to get off them.

I have been free from those meds for over a year now thanks to CBT. It really does help especially with depression if you are honest with your therapist. Psychiatrists are only good at prescribing meds. You need a psychologist or a Behavioral therapist along with the psychiatrist.

Like gchal00 said - the journaling really helps a lot. My CBT had me journal as often as I needed throughout the day and for every bad thought, I had to write the opposite or what I wanted it to be instead of the bad. My bathroom mirrors were filled with positive post-it notes. I place positive notes where ever I could see them when I needed them. It's really a mind game. You know you have a depressive thought and you have to have reinforcement against it.

Keep posting, we are here for you.

14. gchal00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Old Soul

Just checking in. How are you doing? Hope you are alright.

15. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi gchal00,

Sorry for replying back to you so late.

I'm hangin in there. I have a different provider from last year, and the new one doesn't have as many doctors to choose from as the old one did. I still feel lost/depressed and sometimes I just feel like giving up. I don't have a lot of faith in doctors anymore. And the fact that I can't find that many psychologists to choose from leads me feel even more hopeless. :icon_redf

I don't do anything and feel like a hollow shell of my former self. :tears:

But thank you for taking the time to care enough to ask me how I'm doing. I really appreciate it. :slight_smile:

16. gchal00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you still have a Primary doctor? You can at least talk to them and they can prescribe any meds you might need. They probably know a psych and a psychologist they certainly recommend. I would also call you insurance carrier and have them email you a list of any doctor or therapist you need in the network. That should take them 5 minutes and they can email you.

17. Old Soul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for the info. :slight_smile: