1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this bad?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Akira12, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So wasn't sure we're to post it exactly but assumed here would be alright. My question is, is smoking a cigarette once in a while when ones anxiety gets to much to help calm down a bad thing to do? Kinda what I've fallen into when my anxiety gets to be to strong for me to control or calm down from I end up smoking a cigarette that I can snag from my grandma without her knowing so as to not get yelled at for doing so in the first place. I haven't smoked more then once maybe twice a week if even that sometimes go for weeks at a time when I don't need one at all. There are days when it gets to be to much so I snag one and others when I can't snag one o lay in bed trying to calm myself down works eventually. Should I stop this habit? I've had the talk that it's addicting and bad for you and so on since my grandmas a chronic smoker and smokes like 3 or more a day depending how stressed she gets. Don't know much so thought I'd ask some advice. Thanks and hope your all doing well.

2. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please do not smoke. Cigarettes are bad and addictive. I'm a non smoker but I've seen how addicted some people are with their smoking. They smell and their fingers are orange. You don't want that. Try and find another stress reliever that's healthier for you.

3. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not healthy if that's what you're asking. I personally do not judge smokers from a moral ground, but I should at least warn you that the effects can be extremely addictive and can take over to the point you end up doing it more frequently. My Dad has smoked all of his life and he's finally having health problems and might be near his death bed in a few years. I think it's better to not get into it if you haven't started before now.

4. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    K so any ideas I can do to help with my anxiety issues I have? I've tried so many different things to help control it and so far not much has helped so kinda at a loss what to do...

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anxiety is a disorder so it needs to be medicated. A psychiatrist will help. They've always helped me.

6. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Last time I went to a psychiatrist she told me I don't have it and it's cause I play to many video games and don't have enough friends and I don't get out enough. I don't like being very social or in large groups really and not many friends either in real life most of them reside on my video game I chat to or text some that live in other places pretty much daily lol. So yea idk

7. Lazuri

Cigarettes do have anti-anxiety/stress effects, but what they achieve, medication can achieve better and without any severe health risks.

When my anxiety got really bad, I was prescribed a type of sedative. Taking them pretty much always made me calm and at peace again.

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2017 at 11:04 PM ----------

Go to a better psychiatrist, because that one was fucking awful.

8. randomconnorcon

The best thing, I've found, is to find something you like to do that you can do anywhere or doesn't really require anything. Like, my therapist went through different ways of managing and coping with anxiety. One was to try to sit in the same place at the same time for the same amount of time every day and think about all the things causing anxiety (like a brain dump, so you're not putting it off and pretending it's not there, you're just giving them a certain amount of attention, and you start to feel better). Bonus points if you rated your anxiety between 1 and 10 to see if it went down each day. Another was to write. Another was to meditate.

The first one, I hated. I couldn't stick to it, to the point where I just lied to my therapist. I'm a writer, so writing was easier; it wasn't always about my day or my feelings, it was fiction and poetry as well, and writing angsty shit usually got out all my feelings anyway. I'm too fidgety for meditation, but I did enjoy playing music and zoning out for a while. He also got me on a sleep schedule and we timetabled important things in my day, like when to get up and when to eat and when to do coursework, which calmed me down.

The most important thing for me was to do or change one thing at a time, otherwise I'd freak out and my anxiety would get worse. The first thing I did was find something I enjoyed most, which was to play music and zone out, just taking some time for myself (I was studying creative writing at uni at the time, so I wanted it to be very different to the work I already had to do). Maybe start there?

I hope this helps in any way.

9. Akira12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks all for your ideas and thanks a ton random!

10. Assassin'sKat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If there is an alternative, go for the alternative. You might end up getting addicted and dependent on it, letting it cause you to have more anxiety when you can't have a cigarette. And it certainly isn't good for you.

11. TidMaskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't think that it's really too bad and dangerous for your health but there's always a chance that during time you'll get a smoke addiction :confused: Many people start from this, however sometimes it can be ok and won't become worse :help:

12. I'm gay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I finally quit smoking after over 25 years of smoking cigarettes on a daily basis. An occasional cigarette won't harm you long-term. However, I can tell you that EVERY smoker who is addicted to cigarettes started with just 1. And we all told ourselves that it's fine to have just 1. Unfortunately, 1 leads to 2, leads to 3, etc. It isn't long before you find that you're addicted.

My best advice: never start. There are many alternative and healthy ways to cope with anxiety.

13. gchal00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please. You are 20. Tobacco in any form is both addictive and deadly. You can't use it. Please see your Doctor. This can lead to a lifetime of pain and suffering. You deserve better than that.

14. rch1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not to go against what everyone else on here is saying but smoking one or two cigarettes a week isn't gonna do anything to you health wise. If you can keep it to that and you feel it helps you relax I honestly don't see a problem... if you feel yourself craving them constantly and start gradually smoking more every time you smoke then you should try and stop and look into alternatives. They can definitely be incredibly addictive to some people but personally I smoke them occasionally and don't feel myself craving them I don't know I think it depends on the person.