1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under Armour Compression Tights for Cycling

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jacob D, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi all. I hope this is the right place to ask this. I cycle/bike to keep fit and because I enjoy it. I find that wearing Under Armour Tights is very comfortable for biking and for working out in and I own quite a few pairs in different colors. My question is not about the product itself but more about something my father said. He came across some pictures of me on Facebook and he left a comment saying that in his day “men dressed as men” followed by a big smiley face. I didn't take notice and forgot about it. But yesterday morning when he was helping me with some boxes, he told me that I should be wearing loose fitting jogging pants to bike with instead of wearing “ladies tights.” I laughed it off and went on with my day. But it's been bothering me today and its lingered in my brain. Was he trying to say something to me? I'm very masculine so I'm rather confused over his comments. Is the athletic sports clothing that is specifically designed for young guys like me viewed as too girly by my father's generation? I could be worrying over nothing. Should I forget about this or should I talk to him over this?

2. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its a generational thing. I'm guessing he's not into biking himself? Just tell him its so you are more aerodynamic when you fight, this also works for shaving your legs.:icon_bigg

3. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Totesgaybrah. I thought it might be a generation thing but wasn't too sure. He's not into biking so he doesn't understand why I prefer to wear it. For some reason I was a little paranoid that he might think I wasn't masculine enough. Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just looked them up now I want a pair. Now I just need a road bike.:lol:

5. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you lol

6. smurf

The thing about masculinity is that to some people you will not be masculine enough.

Its something that unless you want to eat you up, you have to start realizing that the only opinion that matters is your own.

There is also no problem with liking feminine things or being a bit more feminine than you might think according to some people.

Wear what makes sense to you

7. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks smurf. I do wear what makes sense to me when biking or working out. It's about comfort. I have no doubt I'm masculine though. I was just confused over his comments in regards to me wearing Under Armour Compression Tights instead of loose baggy jogging pants.

8. justinf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wearing loose pants while cycling sounds a little silly to me. As far as I know, all cyclists wear tights. Like totesgaybrah said, it has to do with aerodynamics. I don't think it's a generational thing. I'm pretty sure men of all ages wear them, at least they do over here. So don't worry about your dad's comments... he probably just didn't know.

9. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay Justinf, I won't worry over my dad's comments :slight_smile:

10. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Jacob! I agree with the others on this one because just like you...I too cycle a lot especially during the Summer months and I also own a few pairs of Under Armour Compression Tights. For me.. they are ideal for cycling, working out and various fitness activities...not baggy shorts. I remember this one company I was working at and every Friday..we had casual day. I wore these jeans that had slits in various areas of the thigh and leg areas. To my surprise...I was contacted by Human Resources who asked me if I would tie my jean jacket around my waist because there were co-workers who had found my jeans to be too distracting although no private parts were exposed which was something I would never wear especially to work if so. Therefore..in my opinion...I would not worry about what your father said. Like the others had mentioned...its a generational thing and is expected considering the source.

11. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Jon. I cycle in the summer, winter, spring and fall. I enjoy it and I enjoy working out as well. Good to know you like Under Armour Compression tights as much as I do for both cycling and to work out in. It's true it can be distracting for some I suppose because it is so tight to the body, but it's comfortable to wear for me and I don't care if it reveals my body parts. I wear the long ones not the shorts.

12. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And you should not care as long as you feel comfortable. I used my blue jeans story as an example to let you know how generations/people tend to give remarks towards something that is not what you are thinking or reasoning for wearing whatever. In fact...I had this lesbian friend who I used to go club dancing with every weekend. I used to wear those same jeans on occasions because I like the fit of them and yes..they were very comfortable especially for dancing. One night...she revealed to me that she hated when I wore those jeans and when I asked her why...she told me that the fit of them were very snug and tight on me and she always noticed how guys would stare at me more than usual when I wore them. Needless to say that I was shocked and surprised when she revealed this information to me because I did not understand why my wearing those jeans bothered her yet alone ...why she cared??? So...I definitely can relate to what you are saying. Do you Jacob!!!!!!:thumbsup:

13. Jacob D

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never care about how it looks on me, as long as I'm comfortable that is the only thing that matters. I can relate to what you said Jon. :slight_smile:

14. Zephyr1991

Figured I'd weigh in, as I cycle and run, and I wear tights/compression garments for both. While it took me a while to work up to the self confidence required to wear garments like that outside of privacy, I've come to really appreciate their benefits, and the comfort they offer. It sounds to me like your Dad has some masculinity issues going on and is a little edgy about such issues. I'd just laugh it off and rock them tights to your booty's delight.

Ride on, and stay awesome!~

15. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My big gripe with Under Armour is political--the CEO thinking that Donald Trump is the greatest thing ever.

I can't even ride a bike, but I see a lot of bike riders in summer, and they always seem to be wearing something tight/form fitting.

It's not just biking. I have done lap swimming for exercise. A standard suit is the Speedo-style, and I've heard cracks about it being like women's underwear, among other cracks. "Normal" people in the US hate them, and prefer trunks (or more likely board shorts now). But the reality is the Speedo is much better suited (ha!) for actual swimming. Even for a lap swimmer like me whose best time was "Sometime this century." :lol:

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2017 at 02:46 PM ----------

This final thought probably is not very helpful... But I have to admit as a gay guy I do rather enjoy seeing good looking guys biking in summer when they are wearing something form fitting. (Although I think my #1 favorite view is a good looking guy wearing a Speedo, and #2 would be a runner wearing only shorts in summer.)

#15 BMC77, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017