1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need help

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by sonic1337111, Jan 31, 2017.

1. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this will fall under both physical and sexual health

When i want to get to sleep at night i can't even if i'm feeling tired UNLESS i masturbate which is annoying because i don't want to masturbate every night just to fall asleep so if anyone can provide help about it or if i should go and see a doctor about it (because it would fall under both because sleeping affects the physical health) please tell me because i don't want to masturbate every night (this started a few months back) :icon_sad:

2. Di0

Di0

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here is a link with information about Valerian root: VALERIAN: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

(Make sure it is safe for you before you decide to take it (see the side effects and interactions tabs). I'd recommend increasing from lower dosages to find the smallest effective dose for you)

There are also other things one can do to become more sleepy such as: not lying in in the morning, doing exercise in the day, seeing more sunlight, and 30' before sleeping being in dim light. Also, I have read that it is easier to sleep when there is not a laptop or a phone in the room so taking those out might help!

3. gchal00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi sonic

I just noticed you are 16. Are you horny when you try to sleep? It might just be your hormones still at work. I have nights where I have to do it too. The endorphins that are released and the natural relaxation that happens afterwards help me fall asleep quickly.

I don't think there is anything wrong masturbating every day and I think a lot of guys do it.

If you feel it is becoming an obsession, perhaps talking with a therapist is a good thing.

4. sonic1337111

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks gchal i will see a therapist because i do masturbate everyday but i only want to do it during the day when i don't have to worry about going to bed.

5. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi sonic1337111:

I suggest you see a doctor and tell him/her that you're having trouble sleeping.

Sleep disturbances can have both physical and/or psychological origins and it's probably a good idea to rule out a physical problem first. Things like issues with blood sugar or your thyroid can mess up your sleep (and are relatively easy to treat :thumbsup:)

Cheers.

(*hug*)

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've dealt with insomnia, to varying degrees, almost all my life. I'll just let you know what has worked for me.

First off, the waters get awfully murky for me because I have at least THREE different types of insomnia. One you might call "depression-based" - I'm working through a depressed period, and I get a bit obsessed about negative things to be able to fall asleep. The second is similar, but you might call it "situational insomnia". Like the depression-based insomnia, I find myself thinking about something too much, but in this case, there literally IS something that I need to worry about. Maybe I've got a huge event to plan, or a big meeting in the morning, or whatever. The last type I think of as "physical insomnia". That's where, mentally, everything seems to be going fine, but I still can't get to sleep.

Given what you've said, it seems you have the third type. Masturbation usually helps quite a bit for "physical insomnia", but doesn't do that much to help the other two types. So let's assume that's the case, and I'll move on.

First thing to remember - you'll survive insomnia. Even if you don't sleep at all that night. Sure, you won't be your best the next day, but you'll still be able to function. A lot of people tend to start obsessing about all the sleep they're missing, which simply adds anxiety on top of whatever else is keeping you awake. So make sure there's none of that going on. Resign yourself that if you get six, four, or two hours of sleep total, that's how much you'll get, and you'll still be fine.

Make sure your "sleep environment" is a good as you can get it. Some people sleep better with a little light, and others want it as dark as possible. Some like to wear certain things to bed, and others wear little or nothing at all. Some like to be toasty warm, and others prefer a bit of a chill. Some like a warm bath or a warm drink (like tea) before bed. Again, find what works for you, and do your best to optimize it.

Next, work on calming your mind down. I've found certain types of books are great to read just before bed. I've also found TV shows and movies that work. But it IS a difficult spot to find. You want to find something that's interesting enough to keep your brain moving along, but not so interesting that you get heavily drawn in. You may need to try this and that to see if any of this works for you.

The one thing that has worked a lot for me is this. Even before I started "writing", I used to sometimes make up stories in my head. And "trying to get to sleep"-time is ideal for working on those stories. I'll lay in bed in the dark, pick a spot in the story, and start trying different things. Is this a good time for the dragon to attack? Should the dragon attack at all? Should the dragon talk? What's his name? What's his back story? As I mull this stuff over, I eventually get sleepier and nod off.

It's probable that none of this stuff will prove to be a "wonder cure", and that's fine. Try them out, and see if they help at all...always keeping in mind to not freak out if none of it does. If you've tried all this for a week or so with no real benefit, feel free to talk to your doctor.

Lex