1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Constant Shoulder ache

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SiKiHe, Feb 7, 2017.

1. SiKiHe

I've had these achey shoulders non-stop for some time now. I don't think it's related to my chest or binding. I'm a small b cup and I only wear one sports bra most days, and it's off as soon as I get home after about 7 hours of wear. I work a desk job and my mom said it probably has to do with that. I try using warm water and heating pads to soothe it but those are very temporary and as soon as I stop the ache continues.

I figure trying to sit up straighter and take moments to stand and stretch at work should help, but I'm looking for any other advice anyone might have. the ache is from my neck and shoulders going into my shoulder blades. Aside from pain killers, I'm down to try just about anything.

2. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi:

I would suggest seeing a physician just to get the all-clear that it's musculo-skeletal in origin. If s/he agrees then it sounds like anything that will help improve your "core strength" would be helpful: core strength being the strength of your surface and deeper abdominal muscles. Good core strength helps keep your posture correct regardless of your positioning.

Walking and swimming can both help core strength. So can yoga, but if you're just starting out it's important to start with gentle exercises. Yoga classes can get pretty "heroic" and that's where people get injured, so make sure your instructor is in tune with beginners' needs. Pilates is all about core strength and generally you start with exercise classes and work up to using machines as well.

If you don't feel well enough to exercise on your own, a visit to a physiotherapist may be your first need. They can also give you an exercise routine to start you out and then recommend further classes as you improve.

Good luck.

:slight_smile:

3. Questions93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would also reccommend paying a visit to a physiotherapist. For Musculoskeletal related issues, they can be a first point of call.

For desk jobs, neck and shoulder pain is extremely common, as you are in a sustained (sometimes poor) posture for extended periods of time.

You should take regular breaks and stretch out your neck and shoulder muscles. A physiotherapist can locate the problem and give you a stretching and strengthening programme that will help.

:thumbsup:

4. SiKiHe

Thank you. I'll look into the physiotherapist, either way I'll try stretching a bit more and taking more breaks to stand