1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else feel like crap when not eating raw foods?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Sbjhdhehdnndndj, Feb 17, 2017.

1. I just got out of a year in prison, where I had no options for what to eat, how to eat, or means of exercise.
    Since I've been out I've been eating nothing but raw foods as wheat and starches are making me very physically sick (almost like an allergy?) is this normal as we grow older?
    Also, if anyone is on a diet with only (or mainly,) fresh veggies and fruit, so you have any suggestions on foods in that category I could use to meet my daily calorie needs? I'm a vegan.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2017 at 07:18 PM ----------

While I was in stuck in there my stomach was badly hurt, so I had generally been unaware that this would continue once my injury healed - I had assumed they were one-in-the same.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people that eat an extremely healthy diet such as you're describing notice a major difference when they eat less healthy foods. Likewise, those that avoid refined sugars and wheat and gluten often find that once they've done so for a while, their bodies object when it is re-introduced.

For most people, their digestive system is resilient and will be able to handle those foods again if they are re-introduced slowly. You may want to talk to your doctor about whether there are any special issues as a result of your injury.

As far as caloric-rich vegan foods, you're going to have a hard time getting calorie-dense foods that are just fresh fruit and veggies. Avocado would be one choice, but you may want to add in some other oils (raw flax oil is pretty widely available and very beneficial; just don't heat it. You can use it as a nice substitute for butter on baked potatoes or on salad.) Same with coconut oil. Nuts are another calorie-dense food.

The vegan diet can be really healthy as long as you're eating a variety of foods and paying attention to balancing your carb and fat intake and getting enough of each.

3. Najlen

I agree with Chip, avocado is a good idea. Berries are also good, they have a lot of vitamins and things you need. The main problem with eating only or mainly fresh fruit and vegetables is that it can be difficult to get adequate protein. Are you ok eating foods that are cooked but not processed? If so, things like lentils, beans, and brown rice are a good way to get protein. So are hummus/ chickpeas, edamame beans, lima beans, and mushrooms. Dark leafy greens like kale, mustard greens, brocoli, collard greens, spinach, arugula, brussels sprouts, asparagus, and beet greens also have a good amount of protein and can be eaten raw. I would advise you to try eating legumes if you don't already, those are the best way to get adequate protein and calories as a vegan. You could also try supplements, though I don't know a lot about how to use them.