1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood in semen after anal sex

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by bgill, Feb 18, 2017.

1. bgill

So i'm not too experienced in anal sex (only been doing it for a couple months, at most 20 times)...and i've had three episodes now where i've noticed blood in my semen after having anal sex. Is this at all common? I also notice pain coming from what seems like my prostate. I went to the doctor and he said it was nothing to worry about, and it would go away on its own (it did). But its still worrying.

2. Mj5963

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You need to go get tested for STD's and HIV just to be safe and make sure you have not contracted anything , are you having safe sex ?

3. bgill

Most of the time yeah...but there have been a few instances where i had unprotected anal sex

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did the doctor do a proper exam of your prostate? My partner had this happen to him as well and the doctor, after examining him, also said the same as your doctor. We initial thought it was a sign of cancer, but that was dispelled by my partners doctor for his situation. The prostrate can get irritated if overstimulated apparently, so that's very well what might have happened to you. if you have not done so, I would suggest going to a doctor that has a medical practice focused gay men, as such doctors are more acutely aware of specific issues that gay men have.

Having anal sex 20 times in a few months is quite a high frequency if your prostate is not used to it. As your prostate gets used to it, you may see such issues decrease (but again, talk to a gay focused doctor for the best advice). Aside from what my partner experienced which was similar to you, I also experienced irritation from my prostate being overly stimulated (although no blood), and I needed to take a break for while in order for it to properly heal.

5. bgill

Thanks for the info!

No, the doctor didn't do an exam at all. Just told me it would go away. I didn't even mention the anal sex part.

My prostate might be over stimulated, because even a few days after sex, i feel some discomfort in that region (pretty much in my "gooch", which i'm guessing is my prostate). Also i only started bottoming in October, so i don't have much experience in it.

I'll try to find a "gay" doctor i guess...so awkward tho lol

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Blood in semen has nothing to do with STIs.

The problem you're describing actually isn't uncommon, and is caused by micro tears in capillaries. It can be a result of overstimulation of the prostate, but can also often occur completely unrelated to sex. Usually it goes away in a few days.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues for more than a few days.

7. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not awkward at all! And given your relatively new to the experience, you will find as you have more experience that any awkwardness from sex and health issues becomes common and routine as your confidence builds.

#7 OnTheHighway, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017