1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is it too late for hov vaccinations?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by r2de2baca, Feb 22, 2017.

1. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I read that for men they inmy give you hpv vaccinations in your early 20s or teens because adter that age most people have already been exposed to hov sexually. If I have very few sex partners, would it still work for me over 40? I want to get physical but Im scared about HPV.

2. InbornGame

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Getting the HPV vaccine beyond the age of 26 may make sense for some people in some situations--so this is something you should talk to your doctor about. It's not routinely given to people over the age of 26 because there's usually not much to gain (most people this age are likely to have already been exposed to one or more of the types of HPV that are associated with cancer), but the vaccine can still protect you from types of HPV that you haven't been exposed to, even in your 40s. One potential drawback is cost--because the vaccine is not approved for use in patients over the age of 26, people who choose to receive it beyond this age generally have to pay for it out-of-pocket (a few hundred dollars for the series).

3. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    wow thats pricey. This stuff should be free. are their side effects. im scared

4. smurf

From my understanding of HPV, there really isn't a serious reason why you need it. The side effects that have been seen of the vaccine are far worse than actually getting HPV.

5. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HPV is very common, and most people don't know they have it. If you engaged sexually in any way, you put yourself at risk for the virus. Even handjobs can spread it as It's a skin to skin virus. And the scary part is that you can't use protection to prevent it.

If you feel you haven't been exposed to it, I would just talk to your doctor about weighing the pros and cons.

6. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really? Because cancer seems pretty serious to me and from what I have read the side effects (fever, pain at the injection site) are not very serious.

I'm considering getting the vaccine, I wish I had known or cared about it when I was younger. I'm also extremely inexperienced so I think I am a good candidate for it.

7. smurf

You don't get cancer if you get HPV. Only a very few people get cancer from HPV. Like, a minimal amount.

The push for the HPV vaccines is incredibly controversial when you look at how the company pushed it out into the public.

There is also very little talk about the fact that its clearly understood that if you already have HPV, which most people by the age of 26 already have been exposed to, then the effectiveness of the vaccine is dramatically lowered. The thing is that you cannot test for HPV so getting the vaccine at this age is really not worth it.

There have been a lot of reports of people becoming paralyzed by the vaccine as well. Its rare and not likely, but the same chances of getting cancer form HPV apply to getting some serious side effects from the vaccine.

But of course do as you will. I'm simply stating the facts about what we know about HPV and the marketing that went behind the vaccine.

8. Really

@smurf

Can you cite scientific studies that conclude the assertions you've presented here?

9. smurf

From the CDC website. Emphasis is mine:

9,300 cancers ever year. That is a minuscule amount when you have in mind that 90% of men will have HPV every year.

This is the main reason why its recommended that younger kids get the vaccine. There is a higher chance that they haven't had sex yet.

All information came from the CDC for anyone that wants to continue looking into it: https://www.cdc.gov/hpv/parents/questions-answers.html
    https://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm

That should cover most of all the points I spoke about.

#9 smurf, Mar 1, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  10. r2de2baca

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My Doc said that unless you were avirgin by 40 the hpv vaccinnation would not work for me as I have likely already been infected.I have have very few sex partners but still not a virgin but the closets too it I know. Anyway I dont think I will get the vacinne because there are so many strains that it onlycovers a handful. Sex just seems so health riskish. Takes all the fun out of it

11. smurf

It really isn't as scary as they make it out to be.

Sadly, sex education in the US is largely fear based in order to get people to have as little sex as possible.

If you take the right precautions, having sex is one of the least risky things you can do in your life. You have a higher chance of dying or getting seriously hurt from ANY other activity that you do in your daily routine.

Use condoms, get to know your sex partners, and get tested regularly. You will be fine. At worst, you will get an STD that requires one single pill and less than a week to solve. Diabetes is more dangerous than any STD around, yet many of us consume way more sugar than we should

You are fine (*hug*)