1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deviated Septum

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by ppreston9, Apr 15, 2009.

1. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

Has anyone here gotton surgery for something called a deviated septum in their nose? I think the surgical name is called a septoplasty. I just had this done yesterday and it is a kind of weird transition.

2. KaraBulut

Septoplasty is the correct name.

What seems odd?

3. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

eh idk its just been like painless lol. idk i might just been on top of my paion meds real good but its been really easy. i was wondering though since its like a kind of open cut in my nose would it be a bad idea to smoke since smoke sometimes exits the nasal path?

4. Jace

Don't smoke menthols that would hurt like a biiiittttccchhh

5. DyingForever

DyingForever Guest

I personaly smoke menthol's but that prob isnt the best to smoke or smoking in general (I'm a hypocritical lol) but try your best not to smoke but if you feel you must i would suggest you to smoke marb's full flavor instead.

-edit-

just looked at your age and your 16 and smoking tisk tisk lol :slight_smile:

#5 DyingForever, Apr 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2009
  6. KaraBulut

Septoplasties are fairly painless at first because they give you a local anesthetic similiar to the stuff that you get at the dentist.

In some cases, the nose has to be broken to straighten the septum. If they broke your nose, there will be more pain and swelling. If they didn't have to break your nose, the pain and swelling will be less. The swelling will peak between 24-72 hours and a lot of people complain that there's a throbbing soreness and their nose runs like they have a cold. But it's usually not very painful.

In some cases, the doctor will sew in splints to the nostrils and place a small cast over the nose. The splits and cast stay in for several days after the surgery. Most people complain that the splits and cast are the worst part- especially at night because they tend to get blocked and make it hard to break through your nose.

Your post-operative instructions should have said that you cannot smoke. Smoking interferes with tissue healing. A lot of plastic surgeons are refusing to do surgery on smokers because they don't do well during and after the surgery. So, this would be a good time to put the cigarettes aside.

7. waitingsucks

apparently deviated septums are really common, my dad and cousin have them. My cousin had surgery and my dad did an owen wilson (kept his broken nose). I heard they were really painful though, that's why my dad won't get his fixed.

8. riddlerno1

I had one done 9 years ago. It was the most painful thing in the world!!! Unfortunatly it didnt work as about a year ago my septum deviated again and the doctors said to do the procedure again but i said no as im not goin through that pain again.

9. Jace

eh i like menthols sometimes but if you ever blow it out your nose, or like french inhale with em they stingggg like wowww

10. DyingForever

DyingForever Guest

</offtopic>

As everyone else said i would suggest to try to stop smoking for now

11. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

k well i actually got the memo not to smoke a little too late. i smoked a couple of cigarettes today and i mean it caused no pain. i'm obviously not gonna smoke anymore until i feel completely healed but do you think i messed anything up?

12. DyingForever

DyingForever Guest

You should be fine as longas you dont do it anymore and if you are feeling ok i guess youll be ok

13. Paralyzer

Smokers are cute in so many ways... Oh, the mannerisms.

I thought this thread was gonna be about getting your septum pierced.. which is gross!!

14. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

yeah my nose doesnt really hurt at all. i mean if i bumped it hard it would but generally there is not pain. i just have what feels like a stuffed nose and i still cannot really breath out of it. idk if this is because its swollen or not, not sure.

15. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

its also really annoying because when i move my top lip it like moves my nose (this is something i would never notice until i have stitches up there lol) and causes pain and then my mouth gets dry and blah blah blah woe is me lol. when will the stitches dissolve and i be all better?

oh yeah and is it bad to kiss people with this just done lol?

16. hoping

Yeah i had it done 2 years ago, but it didnt really work for me, i mean i still cant really breathe through my nose.
    The worst part for me was not sneezing for 6 weeks and then when i did all the old blood came out

17. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

eek im scared to sneeze now lol. cuz i usually sneeze alot llol.

18. riddlerno1

I found that there was old blood coming out for ages afterwards. Pretty gross. And also little bits of blue string. I assume they were the stitches.

19. KaraBulut

Are you sure he didn't put splints in your nose? They're usually white plastic things that look like a fake fingernail that are stitched to the septum inside the nostril. Usually, the doctor will have you come to his office to remove them 2-4 days after the surgery.

They can kiss you anywhere except your lips, mouth and nose.

You don't want to do anything to bump your nose for at least 2 weeks. No sports or anything that can bump your nose for 1-2 months. It addition to hurting, it can also injure the septum since it will take a month or so for it to completely heal and set in place.

20. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

eh well i have pretty much broken all the rules that have been laid out. idk i guess im fucked. i wish my doctor would have told me all this shit before. all he pretty much did was prescribe me with 50 pills of 500mg vicodin and send me on my way.