1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Healthcare outside the US

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by mnguy, Mar 14, 2017.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    HIV Positive Man Hits London Streets For 'Heartwarming' Experiment | The Huffington Post

I just saw this article and it was cool that people gave him positive messages, but it got me wondering how the medical system works in the UK (and other countries) for HIV medications for people living with it like him. I guess I thought of it in light of the never-ending debate in the US over healthcare. If I needed HIV meds in the US, insurance would cover some of the cost, but how much would depend on the plan and what if I didn't have a job with insurance? I'm curious how it works in other countries, what are the good parts and what problems could be improved?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the UK, the NHS covers the cost of treating HIV. They do not currently cover the cost of providing PrEP, but will cover the ongoing cost of testing and maintenance while someone is on PrEP. There is momentum for the UK to start to pay for PrEP, but that is still an ongoing debate which has yet to be finalized (although they are paying for up to 10,000 individuals in a limited trial program).

3. Lacayda

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people