1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoping to fix my sleep cycle

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GayNurse95, Mar 19, 2017.

1. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone.
    For some odd reason, I get busy each night and have a tendency to get to bed around 3 am or 4 am. I am resuming school next week because of spring breaking finishing. I also sleep in pretty late as a consequence too. Any ideas on helping me to go to bed earlier?

Also, this is different, but I noticed a few other weird things. I get food cravings for dweet things late at night. I am drinking a lot more water and using the bathroom more. I feel really tired after big meals and get hungry a lot as well. I feel weak more often and I feel drained of energy. I went to the doctor and they did a finger stick. My blood glucose was normal after waiting 2.5 hours after eating. I am taking vitamin D like my doctor recommended and nothing changed. Any idea of what could be going on?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey,

As someone who has suffered for years with sleep problems, I have finally gotten myself on a sleep schedule. My sleep related issues are a result of anxiety attacks that happen at night, which caused me to fall asleep anywhere between 2-4 in the morning. Wasn't so bad when I didn't have work, but it started to take a toll. Went to doctor, recommended i change some of my habits (diet and start exercising, even if it's just a 30min walk a day). Told me, as I work 9-5, better to get up early in the morning so I can fall asleep faster at night. Also suggested that I take a sleep aid to help me put myself into a sleep schedule. First night took Zquil sleeping aid, fell asleep at a decent hour woke up early and now I don't need to rely on sleep aids as much.

Do you eat a lot of carbohydrates? Junk food like cravings could be result of improper sleep schedule. I know i used to crave sweets all the time when I had trouble sleeping. How big are your meals? Most people feel tired if they over eat. I would suggest sticking to protein based foods to keep you fuller longer and cut down on carbs.

Do you eat any greens? How is your diet?

3. dvxqnc

Sleep reset pro-strat:

1) Don't sleep for an entire day or consume ZERO caffeine
    2) Don't use any screen technology for at least thirty minutes before you want to go to bed
    3) Make yourself go to bed at desired time (you'll probably be really tired anyways)
    ???????
    5) Profit

4. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also struggled a lot with broken sleep cycle. I was used to going to bed late, very late, because like you I always found something that kept me busy. Then I had to wake up at 5:30 because of school. I was very tired every single morning. Obviously it affected me at school as well. I found the energy always in the afternoon/evening, and because of that I managed to stay awake until the late night again. Because of that, every weekend I was used to going to bed even more late and I was used to wake up even between 10-12 am.
    I really wanted to fix it, so I started to look for any advice, both from people and from the internet. And they really helped me.

Here are few things that I considered helpful:
    - Set an alarm for the time you want to go sleeping. For example 11:00 pm. Once it starts ringing, stop anything you were doing before and start preparing for sleep.
    - Do it gradually. It may be a shock for you if you suddenly change it completely. If you are used to fall asleep around 3:00 am, then set your alarm to 2:00, next day 1:00. Etc.
    - Try to observe when you wake up naturally, without the alarm (how long your body needs to sleep). If you realize that you need for example about 7 hours of sleep, then try to change the way you go to bed (as in the point above) to the time that after these 7 hours you'll approximately wake up at the time you need to (for example if you will have to wake up at 6:00 am, and you need 7 hours of sleep, then try to set your time when you go to bed to 11:00 pm)
    - Stick to it, unless you really have a serious situation (for example you really need to finish something until the next day). Even during weekends and holidays.
    - As Sawyer said, try to exercise and eat well balanced diet. Fruit. Vegetable. This is really important if you have sleep problems.
    -The light, reduce it. Try to sleep in a completely darkened room. Try to not use the television/computer/mobile phone/etc at least half an hour before going to bed. This also helped me a lot.

I managed to stick to these points, and since then, my sleep cycle is great.

I hope it will help you :slight_smile: I wish you good luck with fixing your sleep cycle.

5. AnAtypicalGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I make sure to keep myself busy throughout the day so that I'm exhausted by the time it's evening. Not ideal but it's gotten me out of all my wacky sleeping patterns.

6. Silver Sparrow

For all the medical stuff, please talk to a doctor. Here are some general tips on sleep hygiene/good sleep habits.

-Get exercise during the day
    -Turn off devices before bed
    -Avoid caffeine/nicotine before bed
    -Establish a relaxing sleep routine (could be things like taking a warm shower, reading/journaling)