1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skin insensitivity

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by FluffyLightFox, Apr 4, 2017.

1. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey there, it's me. I wish I had a real issue to talk about, but I'll do soft today.
    I'm not here to demoralize you, rather, I need opinions on an issue that's been bugging me for a while and despite knowing that it's not related to sexuality (at least for most of us, it kind of is for me) I do know a good chunck of the population here may have similar experiences and worries. Plus I'm not so good at googling and I have no time to become a dermatologist.

So I'll be quick. It's about self harm. Don't read further if you can't handle the topic.
    I know about the elevation of satisfaction thresholds (i.e. we need more and more) but it doesn't entirely explain to me why the spot I cut since May 2015 (May 10th actually) is not only getting numb to pain by now (as I have just proven about 30 minutes ago), but doesn't seem to feel anything other than the pressure of fabric and anything that'd push on it. No feelings of heat, humidity, or cold, nothing there. I don't cut deep though, the blade I use can't go beyond 1mm, or two millimeters if I press the area, but with time I have cut almost every square inch of skin there.

It may be a logical fallacy of mine again but I have been thinking for a while that me cutting there has caused that. Is it purely psychological? Could it be something I've overlooked? Nerve damage?
    You can also share similar experiences, maybe we'll have things in common and elements to clarify, and/or expand the conversation from.

Have a good day.

2. Najlen

You could have nerve damage. That's the only reason I can think of as to why it might go numb.

3. smurf

Our bodies have adapted to manage pain that happens over and over again.

This is the reason why people who work a lot with their hands get rougher hands, callouses, and their hands get thick. The body adapts so their hands suffers less and can withstand more. Same thing happens with people who handle really hot things constantly.

Its seems like you might have developed a lot of scar tissue around that part of your body.

4. FluffyLightFox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yeah, I thought of that too, despite never going deep.. frankly I'm heavily considering moving towards other methods of self harm, because that one is getting less and less effective.

That makes sense. I don't handle cold, humid or hot things, almost everything I touch is at the room's temperature, but scar tissue makes sense.. I do see it when my arm is exposed to sunlight (summer vacations are lovely because of that), I can see shades of lighter slashes on the skin. I didn't think scar tissues would be of any bother, but if the receptors are on the upper layers of the skin that makes sense that A° they got damaged and B° they can't be repaired because of scars... I'm gonna search that asap, but just for the records, what can I do about it?

5. Najlen

I can see that happening if there was a lot of scar tissue. It might eventually go away if that's the case. There are creams you can buy that help soften and heal scar tissue, that might help. I think that scar tissue makes sense only if there's a lot of it and/ or it's really thick though. There isn't a whole lot you can do if it is nerve damage, you just sort of have to wait and see if it gets better. Honestly as long as it doesn't spread or get worse I wouldn't worry too much about it, if it does you should check with a doctor.