1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How should I talk to my Doctor?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by SchizoBurrito13, Apr 4, 2017.

1. SchizoBurrito13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been thinking(and struggling) of how to talk to my doctor about the whole ftm thing, and I've been meaning to ask him about testosterone, any ideas on how I should approach the subject?
    :help:

2. Najlen

Your doctor may or may not know much about transitioning and HRT, some doctors do and some doctors don't. Also, I don't think that general practitioners usually prescribe hormones. You should definitely ask though. I think it's just like asking about any other health issue, just say you have a question and explain what you want and why. If he can't help you, you should ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. They will definitely have all the information you need and will be able to prescribe testosterone.

3. smurf

This is crucial.

The first step is to find a doctor who has experience with other trans patients. You need someone who is able to guide you safely through this whole ordeal. The wrong person could literally cost you your health.

Reach out to local LGBT orgs to ask for trans friendly doctors around the area. Most cities will have 1 or 2 that A LOT of lgbt people will go to with consistence. As long as you don't live in the tiniest of towns, there should be someone around your area.

If you town or city doesn't have one, start looking at doctors located in major cities around you.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stockton is somewhat outside the SF Bay Area, if memory serves, but I can't imagine it's so far away that the doctors in the area aren't LGBTQ friendly. You might ask your doctor if he can refer you to a trans friendly doctor.

Lex