1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Dog.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DAMONdisaster, Apr 21, 2009.

1. DAMONdisaster

My dog has red spots all over and under her upper right leg there is dried blood on the fur. What can it be? And do we need to take her to the vet?

She is a Part-Border Collie, Part-Siberian Husky if that helps. She is also about 8 years old.

2. Jay

Jay

Short and simple: Yes.

I feel like there must be something wrong with her skin. The blood might be because she scratches her skin until it bleeds. So you should have that checked with the vet.

3. jangel

My dog gets something like that when he gets fleas (he has an allergy) he also gets dry skin and will chew. I use one of two differnt things either solar cain spray (but that can sting if its all open) to stop his itching and keep him from chewing as it tastes aweful or baby diaper rash cream with zinc. This is very thick he will not lick through it (it is safe anyways since it is for babies) it stays on for a long time and it really helps with the moisture that created the rash to begin with. It is up to you to go to the vet I myself can't afford to run every time he has an itchy spot so I only go if there is nothing else I can do and it is getting worse. best of luck

4. HalfInsane

I was going to say fleas as well. Can you see any small, black dots in the area (flea droppings)? If so, more than likely she does have fleas. At any rate, I'd take her to the vet if possible, just to be safe.

5. twixy30

i work for a vet it could be fleas or might have gotten in to some ants but your best thing to do is to take to the vet we all have to remember that we are not vets and animals can get sick or get worse if we try to fix.hope that helps

6. Louise

Doesn't sound like fleas to me, fleas bite everywhere, especially round the collar, back and base of the tail, I would be surprised if they limited themselves just to her upper right leg.

I would first bath your dog with a good quality dog shampoo and clear away the dried blood to see what is really happening in that area, then apply an antiseptic cream or spray and see how things go. If the rash really is localised then she might have brushed against something or had something spilt on her that is a skin irritant.

If there isn't any improvement then you will have to go to the vets but pets like us will sometimes have a rash or cut themselves or touch a plant which irritates the skin there is no point running off to the vet everytime there is a little problem that can be sorted out with a bit of common sense, a bath and a bit of ointment.