1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't turn off

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by KarenLyn, Apr 14, 2017.

1. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been debating whether to ask this or not since it's such a really personal and embarrassing thing for me. When I was 16 I woke up one morning an my "ON button was ON and it wouldn't shut down. I've been that way ever since. Mom took me to several doctors and they were all clueless until we found my OB/GYN I have now. She said it sounds like a really mild case of PSAS aka PSAG. I'm not nearly as bad as some of the women I've read in case studies online but it still gets to be a distraction once in a while. Has anyone ever heard of you guys ever heard of this before?

Persistent Sexual Arousal Syndrome

2. Sawyer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've heard of it. Sex drives are different for everyone. And sex drives can be affected by illnesses, hormones, whatever.

Thanks to PCOS, my hormones are so abnormal that at any given time I can go from having a very low sex drive and not need release for months, to it being in the normal range, to it going really high.

The doctors said Birth Control could help with the hormones, but because of a previous illness, I can no longer take anything with hormones in them so it's just something I have to deal with.

And also your 16, your hormones can be quite out of whack at that ages you still develop and go through puberty, if there is no other underlying issue causing a high sex drive. I'd see if your body just sorts itself out?

3. James23367

Definitely agree with Sawyer as time goes on you will learn to control thoughts and deal with the stimulation.

4. wickedwitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi KarenLyn:

I have heard of it. A dear friend of mine has it and it started much the way you describe - she just woke up with it one day. She thought that her sex drive had suddenly increased because of approaching menopause and thought it was rather fun for the first two days but after a week of no relief and then another she was suicidal - she said it was like being on a hamster wheel - just endless. She felt like she was going insane and even worse were the feelings of shame and embarrassment.

Fortunately she found out about PGAD, which is what she calls it, online, and then she knew that it was a problem with her body, not her mind. After about six weeks she actually started having not just arousal but pain as well, vaginally, rectally and randomly throughout her abdomen. She finally went to the doctor when that started but didn't tell the doctor about the arousal symptoms - she just felt too embarrassed. She had an ultrasound and it turns out there is something growing on her uterus (not malignant) and it's pressing on things - blood vessels, nerves, her bladder etc. She then went through a short time where she would have sudden overwhelming nausea whenever she had the pain. The doctor has said that because she is close to menopause that they are not likely to recommend surgery for the growth, that it will naturally subside as the hormones wane.

She still gets her period and the PMS phase is usually the worst for the PGAD symptoms. She thinks that it's because there's less room in the lower abdomen because the uterus is full. As well, she has a lower back problem which may be contributing to the symptoms. She did a lot of reading on the net as you have and started doing Kegel exercises and working to tone her abdominal muscles and she said those things really helped so that now it's not as bad as it was in the beginning - it's mostly during PMS that she has the arousal and pain symptoms.

When the arousal symptoms are at their worst, she told me that she does affirmations to help counteract the feelings of shame and embarrassment, like telling herself that she is more than her symptoms, reminding herself that she has a physical problem not a sexual or mental health problem and that it's her body doing this to her not her mind. She says it's still hard sometimes because it feels overwhelming physically and mentally.

She confided in me after she had seen the doctor. I'm glad she shared that because it sounds hellish to be alone with it. I'm glad your mom is your ally and that you have a good OB/GYN. I don't know if there are support groups available - that might be something to look for.

If you haven't already you might want to try the Kegel exercises - basically clench your internal pelvic muscles - hold your pee or your farts - for 15 seconds and then let go and repeat over and over as you go about your day. If you think your abs need some work that might be another thing to try, any kind of "core" work or gentle yoga might be helpful (be careful of hyper-competitive yoga, I know people who have permanent injuries because of that) and any kind of walking or swimming is good for your abs.

I hope your symptoms will abate for you. And I hope that if you need help with feelings of embarrassment and shame that you will reach out for help either in real life or online. I think it's important that you have somewhere to share about what's going on.

(*hug*)

5. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey guys... thanks for all of the comments and support! Women with severe cases of this have had up to 300 orgasms a day.. OH I'D DIE! Like I said, I have a mild case... around 20 or so a day. It has nothing to do with thoughts or emotions... hell, if I sneeze to hard I'll orgasm or sitting in a theater when the seats vibrate during battle scenes.. OMG! Luckily it's not severe and in a way I'm can still enjoy it when I want to. Thanks again!!!