1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this going to be a problem?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Spot, Apr 24, 2017.

1. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think I'm ever going to have kids but I'm thinking of freezing my eggs if I'm able to. I'd never actually fall pregnant because firstly, I just find the idea gross and it makes me dysphoric. But even if it didn't make me dysphoric, I don't think it's safe because I get bad pains in my ovaries/abdomen on my period and the periods are somewhat irregular so I can't imagine what a pregnancy would be like for me. It sounds too dangerous and like I'm guaranteed to lose the baby.

Anyway, I'm worried that maybe there's a history of "defective eggs" if that's a thing, in my family. I have an aunt or uncle who was miscarried, a great-uncle who was stillborn and a sibling who was miscarried. PS I've had some people tell me that they're not my real family members because they weren't "real humans" and just totally dismiss my feelings, please don't bother saying something like that. If I say they're my family, they are. By the way, I think I may have had another great-aunt or great-uncle who was miscarried but that can't be confirmed at all right now. I just had a feeling I heard that.

Moving on, I don't know why stillbirths happen or why my aunt or uncle was miscarried. And my sibling was presumably miscarried because their heart wasn't beating fast enough and the heartbeat was too weak, they and my mother were just sick to begin with. And what I mean by defective is, can the eggs just be weak/unlikely to survive to begin with and if so, is it hereditary? Or was this just a lot of bad luck? Yeah, that's basically my question. If I try to have a child, would there be an increased chance of miscarriage/stillbirth?

2. Shadowgirl37

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know about stillborns or why that happenes but miscarriages are actually quite common. In fact anywhere from 1/3 to 1/5 conceived babies are miscarriages. Usually they are early in the first trimester, but a baby can miscarriage at anytime throughout a pregnancy. There may be something in your family, but presumably you should be okay.

3. photoguy93

I think you have a lot here to process.

First off, freezing your eggs is not a bad idea. If you're not ready now, but eventually do want them, you'll have them. Things can change in life.

In regards to miscarriages, it's typically the bodies way to end a pregnancy that is not viable. There are sooooooooo many aspects of pregnancy. It's possible that there are some genetic issues in your family, so you could seek genetic counseling if needed. However, I wonder if it's probably just coincidence. Also, if it involved your aunt/uncle and older family members, that was probably years ago. Things are always evolving and healthcare is usually getting better.