1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fear of pandemic as killer flu strain spreads!!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by xxxxx, Apr 26, 2009.

1. xxxxx

xxxxx Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    A DEADLY strain of flu that combines elements of swine, avian and human viruses could spread around the world after emerging simultaneously in Mexico and the United States, experts warned yesterday.

Margaret Chan, director-general of the World Health Organisation, declared the disease a “public health event of international concern” after an emergency meeting in Geneva on Saturday. She said the disease had “pandemic potential” and urged all countries to keep a close watch for outbreaks of influenza-like illness.

A British Airways cabin crew member was taken to hospital with flu-like symptoms on Saturday afternoon after falling ill on a flight from Mexico City to Heathrow, but has been declared free of the virus.

A spokesman for Northwick Park Hospital said: "I can confirm he does not have swine flu. All the tests have come back negative."

Britons are not being advised to avoid travelling to affected areas, although anyone visiting those destinations or who has recently returned should consult a doctor if they experience flu-like symptoms.

In Mexico up to 81 people have died from pneumonia caused by the swine-flu virus and more than 1,000 suspected cases have been reported.

Mexican soldiers distributed surgical masks and the authorities warned people to avoid shaking hands and kissing.

The mayor of Mexico City cancelled all public events, and schools, museums, cinemas and libraries were closed. Health workers were posted at airports and at stations to keep anyone showing symptoms off public transport.

US scientists said Mexicans had been dying for weeks before the virus - an animal strain of H1N1, the virus that killed 50m in the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 - was detected. Controlling people’s movements might not now keep it from spreading, they said.

“It is clear that this is widespread,” said Dr Anne Schuchat of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Swine flu has also been identified in isolated outbreaks across America. There have been seven cases in California, three in Texas and two in Kansas.

Eight New York schoolchildren have been infected with a flu virus that officials think is likely to be identical. Most of the American patients, except those in New York, have already recovered.

In New Zealand, a school group was quarantined and tested for swine flu after some members of their 25 strong party fell ill with flu like symptoms as they returned from Mexico

The 22 students and three teachers from Rangitoto College, in Auckland, had returned to New Zealand via Los Angeles on Saturday after spending three weeks in Mexico.

According to health authorities, 13 of the party were unwell, one was in hsopital and the rest weer in home isolation.

Auckland Regional Public Health clinical director Dr Julia Peters said: "We are taking this very seriously and doing everything necessary to manage this situation in Auckland. The Ministry of Health is managing the response to this issue at a national level.''

In Britain, the Port Health Authority, the agency responsible for disease containment at the UK’s borders, is asking crew on flights into Britain from Mexico to report any passengers suffering from coughs and sneezes to medics.

A Health Protection Agency (HPA) spokesman said: “At present there have been no confirmed cases of human swine flu in the UK or anywhere in Europe.”

The agency described the outbreak as “unusual” and warranting “further investigation and vigilance” by other countries.

The spokesman added: “The HPA and the NHS have systems in place which will alert public health authorities of any unusual strain circulating in the UK.”

Danger of hybrid viruses

People who are around pigs are most likely to be infected by the H1N1 virus, but the virus can spread from person to person.

Avian flu, which has killed 250 people since 2003 and sparked the last pandemic threat, is caused by influenza viruses adapted to infect birds. Swine flu is caused by viruses adapted to pigs. Big problems arise when human and animal flu viruses mix and mutate into new organisms that can spread through the population.

The fact that most of the Mexican dead were aged between 25 and 45 rather than being elderly or very young is seen as a particularly worrying sign. The first victims of the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 were also healthy young adults.

The symptoms of swine flu in people include fever, fatigue, lack of appetite, coughing and sore throat.

Michael Osterholm, a pandemic flu expert at the University of Minnesota, said new cases were probably already incubating around the world.

Tamiflu, an antiviral drug used against bird flu, is said to be effective against the new strain.

Omg I hope everyone is ok. (*hug*)

2. Tim

Tim

Everyone here, including me, have been getting sick, but we all got over it pretty quick :confused: I literally mean everyone... we had like 6 people total at the food bank on wednesday the other week... everyone else was out sick, normally there's 6 Staff, let alone the volunteers. I doubt it's this, but *shrug*.

I still sneeze every now and then, and cough, but *shrug* I'm not dieing, oddly, my mom isn't getting sick, but me and one of my sisters did/are XD

Hopefully those who are sick now get better, hope the best for ya'll <3

3. littledinosaurs

Ever since the bird flu didn't kill the world two years ago the threat of pandemics has never really affected me anymore.
    oh well, i hope we all don't die.

4. partietraumatic

same,but this time it is scaring me slighhtly. Birdflu never developped the ability to transfer from person to person,whereas this one has. It can 'jump' which makes it pretty dangerous :icon_sad:

i hope its like birdflu and just an over reaction to something that never kicks off properly

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Great.. 1st the recession now a virus... 2012?

6. Zac4

a lot of things worry me but this killer flu isnt 1 of them. if it happens, it happens

7. Just Adam

ive had flu for last 3 weeks runny nose, tight sore throat, spotty, temprature swings, headaches, dizzy, tired, bad chest pains stomach pains couldent breath well. :frowning2:

feel like crap

8. KaraBulut

JustAdam:

Have you been to the doctor? Usually the flu runs its course in 7-10 days.

9. ricoca

I was in the whole SARS and bird flu thing that happened in Asian in the past years.
    I was kind of shocked to hear about this swine flu. In California too no less.
    Pfffft hope everything's gonna be okay.

10. Gumtree

Well all Australian public hospitals have been put on Code Alert Level 1 as of today and have advised all staff to stock up on none perishable foods and water, get flu and shots keep closer watch on their friends and family.

I don't believe this was done for the Bird Flu threat, SARS, Horse Flu etc.

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Most major viruses like SARS, Avian Flu and ect. all have potential to be pandemics. And many politicians may use that as scare tactics to rally support. You should take it seriously, know about it, but don't panic or get overly retarded in defense tactics. Most can be fought off. If everyone who caught it died, there'd be more of a panic.

And as to Zeni, that's 3 years off. And for the love of God, don't quote Nostradomus please. Hopefully you know that 2012 is not the end of the world, much like Y2K wasn't. 2012 is just when the Mayan calender takes on another cycle, which hasn't happened before yet. I believe it goes into like Leviathan cycle or something, or the age of water. Something along those lines. I recently watched the special on that but I can't remember it very well.

12. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Strange. I quoted Zac not Zeni. XD

13. Just Adam

well im supposed to about anti depressants ( family found the and chucked them out ) but havent been... need too but been to ill i didnt want to risk getting something else with my weakened immune system or passing this on. stomach isnt able to hold any food today it seems :frowning2: dam stomach throats ok chest is bit dodgy still though and i got root canal in a hour :frowning2:

lame

14. KaraBulut

A few problems.

If you're sick with the flu more than a week, you should see your doctor. It could be something other than the flu that is responsible for your symptoms.

If you're sick, you shouldn't be having surgery or dental work of any kind. Hopefully the doctor will cancel your root canal until you get well.

15. Kryz

I am not scared, idk why, I'm like in the center of everything right now.

they say it's curable tho, as long as you get attention in early stages.

16. littledinosaurs

I've heard that its not as bad when its transfered from person to person (with this particular flu, which is really odd but good?)

17. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

The media is way over-covering his and will scare the hell out of everyone; don't be scared. If everyone remains scared, it will do nothing but harm to us (stress can cause a surprising amount of physical damage as well as the obvious mental damage).

18. Parker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not that scared. People joke around about it by school though.
    I hope that nobody gets it.

19. LiquidAxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This flu is a joke. It is just a strain of influenza like every other strain of influenza.

Influenza strikes about twice a year with the season change from my life's observations. Always the same, new strains evolve and infect. Getting sick sucks, but usually only those already ill, the very young (infants), and the elderly are the one's at greater risk. It can be deadly to those with already weakened systems. Being ill is never fun. And I don't mean to be callous, but this is just an unfortunate reality. Also, deaths usually occur in areas of poverty or poor health care, and poor hygiene also plays a role in its spread and severity.

The "surprising" thing about this strain is its protein content, which should only be of much interest to academics. Very often the "flu vaccine" doesn't actually cover the strains that become virulent in a given season. It is just a game of chance. With this strain it turns out their chance of vaccination was zero, which is also unfortunate.

So, yes, the elderly, the ill, and the parents of small children should be cautious and take preventative measures. Good hygiene and healthcare (if able to afford it) are always recommended.

But because a few people die out of a population of billions...

20. Kryz

It's actually Another virus strain, it's not the regular seasonal Flu which is type B, this type A virus has NO vaccine. That's why everyone is scared, no one has immunity to it since it's new on man kind. And anyone, not just poor or dirty ppl can get it.

I am NOT as concerned or scared, tho I live here, where the most cases are reported, but it is not a joke.