1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health question....

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MLCarr, Apr 29, 2009.

1. MLCarr

I have a few symptoms, I'm wondering if they're related:

-Depression (since I was 13)
    -Overweight (since I was 10)
    -Anemic (last 6 months, maybe more, but not diagnosed)
    -Long (10 days) periods with major cramps (since 14)

My only thought is a possible thyroid problem. I have an appointment with a doctor for it...but I'm not sure what I should bring up and what I shouldn't...

2. Melissa

I think that in order for your doctor to treat you properly, you should be honest about all of it... I hope you feel better.

3. KaraBulut

Agreed. Your doctor would be the best person to evaluate your symptoms and your history to come up with a diagnosis.

4. Haiiro

Haiiro Guest

Yeah, it would be a a good idea to bring all of it up, because all of it could be part of the same problem, and make it easier for your doctor to order the right tests, etc.

5. Mickey

Take some time and write it all down,before you see the Dr. That way you won't forget anything. It makes it easier and the Dr.will be able to do what needs to be done.
    I wish you the best.I hope you're feeling better,soon.

6. Gumtree

Health is such a broad term that it's really hard depict a single influence on it.

Physically/medically there could be a link between your symptoms, a doctor would be your best bet if you want those questions answered.

Emotionally, yeah; they're all connected, everything that impacts the way you feel and act will influence your health, even down to a minute to minute basis.

The 10 day periods with severe cramps are quite common, many of my friends visit the hospital on occasion for period cramps or have prescription medication for them. 10 days is a long period but not uncommon, especially if you're experiencing anaemia; you could be "spotting".

7. MLCarr

So update: I saw a doctor. He thinks I have a hormonal imbalance and possible hypothyroid. They drew blood today and I swear it was about 14 tubes of it. Took forever. They're testing for vitamins, hormone levels and they gave me this synthetic thyroid stimulant that made me damn close to physically ill. Maybe they'll tell me what's wrong now, because aparently it's something.

I'm really worried about the hormone thing though. I keep questioning if this could be the reason I like girls. *sigh* I know we say that it's something you're born with, and I believe that...but what if it was just that simple of a problem? What if I have too much testosterone in my body and that's why? What if they fix the problem and I go back to what society views as normal but it's so foreign for me? I am just worried. I find out results on Friday.

8. Jim1454

I hear you, and I follow your logic. But I don't think hormones make you gay.

Testosterone is supposed to be the underlying cause of male pattern baldness - which I have in spades. So apparently testosterone isn't a problem for me - yet I'm gay. So I don't think that is your issue. Instead, you'll just be a much healthier, happier lesbian! Doesn 't that sound like fun?!? Good luck!

9. Greggers

99.9% chance that is Hypothyroidism.

Good news? The medication completely reverses it when taken faithfully.

I have the exact same thing, with the exact same symptoms. (*hug*) I know what its like. My Hypothyrodism would make me gain weight even when i didnt EAT anything! I could not lose it for the life of me. It was like being bi-polar too because id always have mood swings, but id go from "normal" to "down". Id never have any ups, just downs. It sucks alot :frowning2:

This is what life will look like after you get your first dose of thyroxine:

Every day you have to take a small pill in the morning with lots of water and dont eat for an hour after you take the pill.

Every three to six months you have to get your blood taken to test your thyroid levels. It is only one vial of blood for this test though.

This is followed by a meeting with your doctor to see the results. It will take a LONG time generally to get the right dose of thyroxine. I started at 25, then 50, then 75, then 100, now 125, and ill have to go higher im sure.

You go get your new dose of meds and then you keep on keeping on with that.

With the meds your depression will go away, to a huge degree atleast. I am still depressed alot, i must admit, but i dont have my meds on the perfect dose yet so im counting on that helping. Ever since i got on this med ive been able to finally lose weight! Im down from circa 175 to 160 :slight_smile: Its not alot, but its not going UP and thats the main thing.

One thing to keep in mind, your body takes awhile to adjust to the meds. It wont be a miracle cure right away. Give it 6 months or so to really show.

10. MLCarr

Final update:

So I am officially hypothyroid and severly vitamin D deficient. My doctor seemed more worried about the vitamin D than the thyroid though. *shrugs* I'm now taking 112mcg of Synthroid once a day and 50,000mg of vitamin D once a week.

Question: The synthroid is keeping me up at night and making me a bit hyper during the day. I know this is normal, but do these side effects ever calm down?

11. Greggers

Well, honestly, ive had the same problem ever since taking the synthroid. Its been about nine months and it has not really gotten better yet, but that may just be me...

12. KaraBulut

It's a very common complaint.

For those who have had hypothryoidism for some, the sudden rise in thyroid hormone causes a lot of insomnia, rapid heartbeat, anxiety and hyperactivity.

The dosage of thyroid is in MICROgrams, so it takes a while to find the right dosage. Be sure to let your doctor know how you're responding to the dosage so that he can go up or down on the dose as needed to manage your symptoms.

13. MLCarr

Sounds good to me. I take it that they will go away as soon as I'm on the right dosage. My doctor said it could take up to 6 months to find the right dosage, but I can live with the side effects, they're not horrible.

Thanks for all your help KaraBulut!