1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone had luck with anxiety and counseling?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by taken, May 24, 2017.

1. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Has anyone had good luck with talking to a counselor for anxiety issues? I've been diagnosed with depression and anxiety in the past and was on medications for it. I didn't really like how it made me feel, and my depression as been pretty well controlled. I'm still having issues with anxiety and it is starting to affect my relationship and friendships. I don't want to be medicated because this isn't really a constant, deep thing but I need to work on ways to better manage it and ways to not let it interfere with my relationship before I ruin it. Just wondering if anyone has had luck with a counselor/therapist or if medication is the only way to go?

2. SomeUsername

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi taken, I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues. I've been seeing a psychologist for a bit over a year. I guess this isn't the best time for me to judge, since my mental health has been terrible this spring, but therapy has probably prevented me from getting too depressed until now. It has helped me a lot with dealing with specific issues and causes of anxiety in my life, but it hasn't really stopped me from experiencing anxiety and lately depression. I guess for some people counseling is enough and some people need to resolve the biological factors with medication.

3. taken

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi SomeUsername, thank you for your input. I'm calling my school tomorrow to see if i can get an appointment to at least start trying to work on some issues. In the past, I was on depression medications that I don't feel like they helped that much... Now looking back, I don't know that I was clinically depressed... it could have been anxiety all along... I want to work on managing my anxiety and trying to figure out this constant fear of abandonment that I have. I'm open to medications if they therapist thinks I need them as well, but really I want to be able to not need constant validation in my relationship and friendships. I feel like there's something deeper that I need to address but I don't even know what that is.

4. Fishtail

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I didn't cause it was the wrong time but
    it did help talking whit those wo where partly the source of it.
    And reading about or watching on youtube people whit similar experience.

Talking to you parents or familymember you trust about you feeling may help to
    to lift the burden you are feeling before thinking to start on medication.
    They may be seen a the last outlet/possibility if your anxiety controls you.

You are strong for stoping medication and fighting it,
    try to surround youself whit happy things to do and stressfree days.