1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Calories

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by musicgirl112233, May 4, 2009.

1. musicgirl112233

Ok so I'm not really over weight, but I would like to be thiner. So I went on a "diet" wednesday. I havent really changed anything I have just stopped eatting so much junk food. I also have been exercising more. The thing is I have been writing down all the calories I eat between 510-950 calories a day and when I eat I feel sick. Should I be worried?

2. KaraBulut

It's good that you've eliminated junk food from your diet. But to maintain your body's basic needs, you must consume between 1600-2000 kcal per day. You're eating 1000kcal less than that.

The problem with going overboard on calorie restriction is that it makes your body think that food is scarce and it needs to conserve. When you begin eating again, your body will store more fat.

You're much better off eating a balanced diet with adequate calories.

3. tm74

tm74 Guest

Absolutely - what you really need to do is work out your Basal Metabolic rate - this will tell you how many calories you need (based on your height/weight etc) - a quick google turned up a few articles and on-line calculators - this will tell you how much energy (i.e. calories) your body needs to just "tick over" - eat a little less than this, and get some exercise and the weight should fall off.

However, I doubt that 900 calories is enough - you need more than that - remember a healthy rate to lose weight at is between 1 and 2 pounds a week. Plus, at your age, your body is still growing, and probably needs that extra energy.

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I completely agree with Kara. And, there's something else you and other people should know. Realistically, there's no such thing as a calorie.

Kcal/Calories are just a measurement of heat that items give off to energize you.

People worry too much about their calorie count, it's ridiculous. The same can be said about those who try to restrict it to something silly like 200 calories per day. Karablut is absolutely right. If you eat healthy, aim for something like 1400-2100, then you'll get better, safer, healthier, and sometimes, faster results.

5. Fiender

6. musicgirl112233

Thanks Y'all(*hug*)!

7. starfish

Yes do keep in mind that you need to figure out how many calories your body needs. I'm a pretty big guy. According to my bodybugg I burned 3500 calories and I spent over 8 hours just driving today. It is fairly easy for me to get that between 4000 and 5000 calories. So as was mentioned above you need to figure out how much you really meed.