1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weightloss is much harder than it should be?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by notquitebutch, May 16, 2009.

1. notquitebutch

Ok, so I've tried to lose weight so, so many times. I think the first diet I went on was weight watchers when I was 10. (I was doing well, and lost 5 pounds, but my mom was bragging about it loudly, and our WW is in a mall, so I got embarrassed and quit ahah.)

I could give 2 craps now weather people see me in a diet place now, so that's not my issue. Last year I went on jenny craig and got myself to 132 from 150, but I gained it all back immediately after I stopped going. I've realized commercial diets aren't going to work for me, because I can't eat their food forever.

I've tried by myself to cut portions and work out regularly... about 6 months ago, I was doing so well. I felt myself become fuller much more quickly, and I lost about 10 pounds (5 of which I still haven't gained back, which is a first. I'm at 145 now.)
    What threw me off that time, though, was getting McDonnalds as a quick dinner after a dance one night because it was 12am and I was tired and starving, and that was the only option. Before that, I was really on top of my calories, and I was really careful about what I ate, and I ran 40 minutes a night+did weights on the bowflex. I felt good for the first week and I was happy I was losing weight. After that night, though, I totally stopped caring about calories, got depressed and frustrated after trying to work out, and now I'm my fat self again.

I don't know what to do. The worst part of it all is that I really don't care THAT much. I mean, I'd LIKE to be slimmer, and I'm sure I wouldn't feel so sluggish all the time if I lost weight, but I just can't do it. I'm even getting stretchmarks on my calves now. And a few on my waist. But even that isn't enough to REALLY motivate me.

Whenever I've tried to cut my portions since, I would get anxious and frustrated and depressed because I felt like I was starving, even though I'd eaten a normal amount of food. Obviously, I'd give in and go eat something, because I couldn't stand feeling so anxious and nervous. And then, I'd feel mad at myself for eating more than I needed.

What can I do to stop that? I feel like the only reason I can't lose weight is because of some MENTAL block, nothing physical. Is there a pill I can take or something that isn't a crazy crash diet pill that will keep me from getting upset?

I'm not OBESE, I'm just... overweight. I'm about 5"2 and 145 pounds now. I could post a picture if that's allowed?

I'm at such a loss. Help D:

(If it matters, I always end up getting stressed and anxious around 140lbs. I can't make it past that number, no matter what i do.)

#1 notquitebutch, May 16, 2009
    Last edited: May 16, 2009
  2. paco

paco Guest

ive heard to drink a glass of water before you eat meals because it tells your brain that your stomach is full and doesnt need more so you dont eat as much. never tried it myself, but its worth a shot right?

and diets dont work anywhere near as well as trainers at gyms. diets are always temporary cause as you said you cant go on that food forever, but if you learn to work out right, you can keep working out right, i hear yoga is pretty good and people enjoy it a lot so they keep going to have fun rather than just to stay in shape.

3. Aero

Don't let one bad night ruin the week... we all have those days.. Keep working at it.
    Weight loss needs to be done by realistic means if you want it to be permanent.
    As you've figured out, being 'on a diet' doesn't work long term unless you can see yourself eating that way for the rest of your life.
    And WW wasn't an entire flop, since you at least learnt something about portion control.

If you're feeling starved from the portions that you are trying, it sounds like those portions don't have enough substance to them. Make sure you are getting a lot of fibre. Fibre is huge...you'll feel full and it that feeling will last longer. this will also help you avoid the starvation AND "sluggish" feelings. So, stay away from white bread/rice/pitas/pastas and go for anything whole grain, multigrain, flax, etc.

Make sure you eat a lot of fruits...I mean a lot... daily.
    The difference in energy level will be so noticeable, and your workouts will be better. Naturally, the same goes for veggies.

For meats... lean protein.. fish and poultry/eggs are great. Avoid chicken skin.
    Avoid pop and juices (or at least cut down). try and stick to water (or juices that you squeezed from fruits yourself... with pulp).

I'm guessing you still live at home.. if your mom buys the groceries, beg her to get healthier items.

Don't worry about the occasional stop at McD's... definitely don't let it ruin what you've worked hard for. Just make sure you aren't going frequently... if you go once in a month, enjoy it... if you go a couple times a week-- maybe it's time for a change. Sometimes hanging out with certain friends can land you in bad food choices.

As for workouts... don't over do it... When starting out, 40 min running a night, plus weights in the span of 1 week sounds like too much too fast. Don't start off sprinting here... build up to it.
    Try the cardio 3 times a week (even 2 is fine to start off with)... if you're a super star, and you have the time, then you can add more cardio days later. Too much too fast is just not sustainable (and is likely to cause injury).

Definitely do weights. I would recommend seeing a personal trainer for just a few sessions (if you can afford to) to learn how to do weights properly and effectively.

Also, if you like a sport... join a team... it's the difference between a workout that you have to do, and a workout that you can't wait to do.

Hope this helps you
    Good Luck!

4. acorn7

Can't give you specific advice (some good above), but a few things on weight loss:

- The reason why it's so hard for people to lose weight is that their body always wants to go back to its heaviest weight. That's why you gain a few pounds automatically if you stop.

- Exercise is good, yes, but you have to be careful that you don't overeat as a result of your exercise. In other words, your workout tires you more, makes you more hungry, and you end up eating more and cancelling out the weight loss your exercise was intended for. You definitely should NOT starve yourself, that's not the point; you just need to make sure you think about how much and what you eat.

- Which brings up to what you eat: try to eat healthy and nutritive food like fibres, fruits & vegetables, lean protein, etc.

- I'd recommend starting slowly and keeping a log of your progress, and not going too hard at it at first, to not get discouraged. Also, in the food department, allow yourself treats once in a while, you're human :wink:

Most importantly, don't take your weight too seriously. Good luck!

5. KaraBulut

Your post catches most of the pitfalls and failures of dieting.

It's seldom just about the food- it's more about lifestyle.

If you want to be slimmer, have more energy and be healthier, you have to change your daily routine to incorporate fitness. That means that you have to plan what and where you're going to eat (and not allow yourself to get hungry so that you end up at McDonald's). It also means that you have to exercise daily, whether that means taking a walk with a friend/family or going to a gym. And it means that you have to get out of the loss/gain yo-yo pattern that comes with the belief that dieting is the solution.