1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

addicted?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jman77, Jul 9, 2007.

1. jman77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    um... so i dont know if anyone will have answers but here i go...

i have been on muscle relaxers since around the end of march for my back (its all messed up). the thing said once every 8 hours so i have been taking 2 almost every day since then. so now of course my dad says that i should not be relying on them so i need to stop taking them.

i tried not taking one on sunday but i got in a horrible mood... my head hurt... my left side was tingly lol... i have to keep moving... i am really tired and stuff

so basically now my dad is like oh just stop taking them and you will be ok... so am i addicted to these things? and what can i do to get un addicted if i am? :dry:

2. TeeBe

Things like muscle relaxers, pain killers and tranquilizers are horribly addictive. You may well have developed a dependancy on them. The only way to get "un addicted" is to not take them. The side-effects shouldn't last too long.

Good luck! Your doctor may have better suggestions, that may be specific to the type of relaxer you are on...

3. Micah

Definitely talk to the Doctor who prescribed them to you if you have any concerns. He's going to know better than anyone.

4. Kimi

Yeah, I recommend you to go see your doctor. He should know the answer.

But I think you are ok, since you didn't take muscle relaxers when you got in a horrible mood(including headache). Some people can't hold themselves from taking it...
    So maybe you need to try stop taking them again(Not just one day...as long as you can possible.) But if you can't stand it maybe it's ok to take it but once a day. Like...to quit smoking, they drop number of cigarette slowly and after while they reach the point they smoke only once a day and finally they stop smoking completely. So that step might help to stop taking it but since I'm not an expert, so I recommend you to ask about it to your doctor:thumbsup:

5. Jim1454

Yes - see your doctor. They may suggest stopping completely, or they may suggest slowly taking yourself off them, depending on the kind of med. Good luck.

btw - are you doing anything else to help your back? i.e. physio therapy or massage? That might help as much or more than the pills.

6. Red87

I had some of these back in Boot Camp when I pulled my back really bad during Combatives (hand to hand combat) training. I took them all the time, and when I ran out, I had some of the same problems. After about a week I was feelin better again. I think your body just has a chemical addiction to the drug, but after the drug is cleaned out your body after several days, you should return to normal.

7. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

You should come off the meds as you have been on it for far too long. You will have some side effects as you describe, but in a week or so, they will subside. To prevent further problems with you back, especially the lower back, get your abs in shape. The abs do far more than most realize in keeping the lower back in good operating order. If out of shape, you have increased risk for development of lower back problems.

In the future, don't use muscle relaxants for any longer than 5-7 days.

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was gonna say chiropractic. It's been good to me.

But as was mentioned, yes, abs! They really, really help and even prevent back pain if they're strong.