1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exercise effectiveness?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Enaithor, May 24, 2009.

1. Enaithor

Do weight-bearing exercises that rely on body weight, such as the muscle workouts in wii fit actually count or are they just crap?
    I really want to get sexy for the summer lol
    I'm not like fat but I have fat...as in, when I'm wearing clothes I look thin but then without clothes I kinda have lots of fat, and hardly any muscle

Is there any genius workout routine that anyone knows that works on basically every muscle group etc?

2. -Michael-

No such luck.

There's a good blog.

www.breaktheillusion.com

the blogger is a really funny gay person and he has excerise routine videos.

I love him to bits.

3. Enaithor

Ah yes, I'm subscribed to his youtube :grin:

Eek, I don't have money D=

4. -Michael-

I would say just head to the gym.

but money would be needed.

Swimming gets all the muscles going.
    And a swimmers body is to die for.

But again...money...

just...run?

5. Enaithor

Erghhhh
    I can swim, but I can't float >.<
    I have given up on swimming because I had lessons, and I wasn't doing anything wrong, just for some reason I was still sinking

Running doesn't work on many muscle groups :/

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Running works your heart, which is cardio, which is what you need to lose fat. You could do situps all day long and have monstrous abs, but no one will see them with a layer of fat covering them up. Work on cardio to lose the fat first, then worry about building muscles.

7. Enaithor

So if I try and get muscle while simultaneously doing cardio, will that mean when I lose the fat completely it'll be like, yay! ?

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the only unvicious circles in the personal fitness world is that muscle requires more calories for maintenance so if you put on more muscle, you will more easily burn off extra calories, so losing fat is actually easier the more muscle-y you are. However, building muscle requires us to have a surfeit (i.e. extra) of calories, so I think what I've heard most people do is consume more calories while weightlifting to put on muscle and then tone up after they've built the muscle. At least that's what my ex always said and he is definitely more muscle-y than I've ever been.

So depending how many calories you already consume, you might want to do some relatively serious/heavy weightlifting while taking in some extra (not tons) calories while doing light cardio and then once you've bulked up, intensify your cardio and reduce your weightlifting to more of a maintenance level (more reps, less weight).

One super-common fallacy, though, is that you need to consume tons of extra protein while attempting to put on muscle. The fact of the matter is that an average person's diet contains way more protein than ever gets used by the body (it just gets pissed away) so unless you are like a serious, serious athlete, you can probably skip a lot of the protein shakes/powders. Obviously you want to be consuming high-quality calories while attempting to bulk up but you aren't going to make it happen any faster by consuming gobs and gobs of protein. Just eat good balanced meals... maybe slightly bigger portions or an extra meal a day?

If you have good swimming technique, it's a fantastic all-around exercise because you get pretty intense cardio and it tones many muscle groups. If you can't swim that well, however, you'd likely be better off running/cycling.

(This is all stuff I've picked up from a variety of sources and is definitely non-definitive--I'm no exercise expert. But I have read the occasional book and talked to people who are more knowledgeable about this kinda thing than I am.)

9. Roralo

Roralo Guest

10. Gumtree

^^ Rowing is great exercise!

2 things.

1. Weight loss in summary means putting our more then your putting in! High intensity and frequent exercise (of any form, not just cardio) will be beneficial, but as you already know; different movements exercise different muscles. A combination of both is the most effective for your situation (I suggest starting with cardio and doing weight/training right after).

2. Food! The rate in which your body burns energy is called your BMR, or Metabolic Rate. Your BMR is determined by a whole bunch of things but the most significant is your muscle mass. The more muscle you have on your body, the more energy it requires to be sustained, thus the more energy you burn and the faster you lose weight (this is why it's recommended you do both cardio and training). A typical western diet contains 4x the average requirement of protein and so protein diets are definitely not a good idea (surplus protein is also stored in the body as fat!)

Some tips for anyone with an "average" build, thinking of losing weight.

Cut out SOME of the unnecessary fatty foods consumed BETWEEN meals. It's still fine to have a few lipids during dinner but deep-fried snacks in-between meals are the killers!

Drink more water - enhances digestion, reduced blood pressure, helps you work out and stay energized for longer and makes every single aspect of life easier and better!

Don't STOP eating! It doesn't take much to convince your body that its starving, and when this happens your body decides to take every ounce of energy from what you eat and store it as FAT!

If you're looking for a real boost the healthy way, there's a few really inexpensive vitamin supplements you can take!

Vitamin B-6 and B-12
    Magnesium
    Iodine (An excellent booster to your BMR)