1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fever of 98 degrees...I think

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Lucy, May 25, 2009.

1. Lucy

Okay...so I've been feeling really crappy for about a week now...I'm feeling anaemic, lethargic, coughing, and I've been blowing my nose a lot. But my temperature is only 98 degrees...

If my *normal* internal temperature is 95 degrees, then is this not a fever??

another note, I have a friend whose average body temperature is 94 degrees, and she had the stomach flu with a temp. of 98 as well...

just looking for someone to back me up.
    My parents have learned to be cynical of me when I say I'm sick...

2. -Michael-

Anything under 100 isn't too bad.

100 is a marker for a good (bad) fever

3. Just Adam

yep ^ 100 youve been overwhelmed by a living sun beeing :slight_smile: ( waits to see if anyone gets the reference)

temprature can also vary on where you live our body regulates its temp to keep balance with the environment

but youve defo been bad so i would say go to doctors and tell them how youve been feeling

4. GhostDog

Doctor Who? =D =D

And I'd see a doctor. I have no idea if a fever's determined relative to regular body temperature or not, but you can still be sick without a fever. A doctor would know!

Hope you feel better soon!

5. Just Adam

i so love you right now :grin: allmost as much as i do david tennant lol

and yea a fever is sudden rise in temprature from the norm but depending on you and where you are your norm can be higher or lower than others... i learnt that from house :grin:

6. KaraBulut

When you say that your "normal" temperature is 95 degrees- where are you taking your temperature and how?

The low normal for a surface (skin/oral) temperature is 96.6 to 99.3 degrees. When taken internally (ear/rectal), the low normal range is 97.5 degrees.

7. Lucy

oral temp. is 95...honestly, i'm not sure if that's even healthy at all...

I'm really just wondering if 100 degrees EXACTLY is the marker that you're sick.
    Because the only reason we can assume someone is sick when their internal temp. is higher is because we know the body reacts to an internal attack by heating up. this does't necesarrily mean it has to go up to 100, it just has to heat up by a few degrees...or somthing. So would someone with a low internal temp heat up more (all the way to what an "average" person would become with the same severity and sickness) because they are internally colder?

not sure if this makes sense...sorry D:

#7 Lucy, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  8. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have a pretty average normal temperature (I don´t know much about the Fahrenheit scale, but I think that my temperature would be 100). I´m really ill when it´s more than one degree higher than normal. When it´s three degrees above I feel like I will die. But I have friends that are in school sometimes with a temperature that if it was me, I would be at home with a bad fever. Maybe it´s different from person to person? Or maybe I´m sensitive. If you feel bad and have the other symptoms of fever it´s probably a fever. As the other posters said, you could go and see a doctor about it.

9. SamAlex728

Well, my sister's normal temperature is 96.6 (her grandmother was the same way) and she went to the hospital and they completely disregarded her high temperature because it was "only slightly above normal" when they would've thrown a fit it she was normally 98.6. People are so stupid sometimes....

10. I used to run around 97 and my mom would know I was coming down with something if I had a "normal" temperature of 98.6. I would go to the doctor, especially if your temperature usually runs low.

11. KaraBulut

You are probably someone who should have temperatures taken in your ear instead of by mouth. Ear (tympanic) temperatures tend to be closer to the true core body temperature.

Temperature isn't always something that we treat- usually we don't try to break a temperature in a adult until it exceeds 101.5F core (38.6C). If you're one of those people who does run 1-2 degrees F colder, they would treat if you reached 100F (37.8C) but they would need to be aware that this was an unusual situation.

12. TriBi

Just as an aside - is there any possibility that a thermometer could be giving an 'inaccurate' reading? If so - worth checking with a different one?

I don't know - just asking...I know a thermometer (old style) is a sealed unit - but I have wondered before if they (or the digital ones) could ever record/be calibrated incorrectly...or 'go out of adjustment' so to speak.

13. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    if your normal temp is 95 then at 98 you DO have a fever. I"m the same way my temp is normally 96.8 not 98.6.
    Try putting a cool cloth on the back of your neck, on your forehead, or under your armpits.