1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

foggy

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Steam Giant, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Steam Giant

Okay, so I'm on an anti-depressant and an anti-psychotic, Effexor and Seroquel respectively, and I've been on them both for 17 days. When I started on them, I had this side-effect that nobody seemed to be concerned about where I'd zone out at times, just kind of stare at something with a blank mind, you know? I still do that sometimes now, but that's not what I'm worried about. On monday, I got drunk, and late at night, after I took my anti-psychotic, I went totally haywire. Like, I got REALLY sleepy, woosy, disorientated, far worse than being drunk. I went to sleep, and when I awoke, I had next to no energy for the whole day, and felt like I was thinking through a thick cloud for the first half of the day.

Ever since then, things have been "foggy" for me. It's like, not severe at all, but I can definitely feel it all the time. It's hard to describe, but it's like I have a little bit of trouble remembering things that have happened recently, my thinking process is dulled just a little bit, and it's a little bit more difficult to concentrate on things.

Does this sound like it's still an after effect of getting drunk while taking the meds? Or could it just be a normal side-effect (I have a printout of side-effects for both, and it's not listed)? Do you think it will last for very long? It doesn't seem major...should I wait and see what happens for the next few days before I do something about it (keeping in mind that I'm uninsured)? Thanks for your time, whoever can answer this for me ^^

2. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, those meds should NEVER be combined with alcohol, that's a well-known fact. However, I don't know about the effects... maybe JayHew can help you.

But give me a second. I'll do some research.

3. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Side effects of Effexor:

* Nausea
    * Apathy
    * Ongoing Irritable Bowel Syndrome
    * Dizziness
    * Fatigue
    * Insomnia
    * Vertigo
    * Dry mouth
    * Sexual dysfunction
    * Sweating
    * Vivid dreams
    * Impulsive Actions
    * Increased blood pressure
    * Decreased Appetite
    * Electric shock-like sensations also called "Brain shivers"
    * Increased anxiety at the start of treatment
    * Akathisia (Agitation)
    * Memory Loss

[edit] Less common to rare side-effects

* Cardiac arrhythmia
    * Increased serum cholesterol
    * Gas or stomach pain
    * Abnormal vision
    * Nervousness, agitation or increased anxiety
    * Panic Attacks
    * Depressed feelings
    * Suicidal thoughts
    * Confusion
    * Neuroleptic malignant syndrome
    * Loss of appetite
    * Constipation
    * Tremor
    * Drowsiness
    * Allergic skin reactions
    * External bleeding
    * Serious bone marrow damage (thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis)
    * Hepatitis
    * Pancreatitis
    * Seizure
    * Tardive dyskinesia
    * Difficulty swallowing
    * Psychosis
    * Hair Loss
    * Hostility
    * Activation of mania/hypomania.
    * Weight Loss (of concern when treating patients suffering from anorexia nervosa)
    * Weight gain (effect not clear, but of concern when treating young women who may have Body Dysmorphic Disorder).
    * Homicidal Thoughts
    * Aggression
    * Depersonalization
    * Visual Hallucinations
    * Swollen and/or bleeding gums

#3 Miaplacidus, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  4. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Side effects of Seroquel:

Seroquel has many side effects, some of them common, a few of them serious and life-threatening.

The most common side effect of Seroquel is sedation. It is prescribed specifically (off-label) for this effect in patients with sleep disorders. Beginning users may feel extremely tired and 'out of it' for the first few days, sometimes longer. Seroquel's newest indication, for bipolar depression, usually specifically calls for the entire dose to be taken before bedtime due to its sedative effects. Although quetiapine is approved by the FDA for the treatment of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, it is frequently prescribed and aggressively marketed for off-label purposes, including insomnia and the treatment of anxiety disorders.

Common side effects include: constipation, headache, mild weight gain (or loss). Less common side effects (less than 2% of patients) include: abnormal liver tests, dizziness, upset stomach, substantial weight gain or weight loss, a stuffy nose, and increased paranoia.

There is a significant risk of development of tardive dyskinesia, an incurable neurological disorder, with any prolonged use of quetiapine and some other neuroleptic drugs. However, quetiapine is believed to be less likely to cause tardive dyskinesia[14][15] somewhat less often than typical antipsychotics based on the data sources which point to placebo-level incidence of extrapyramidal side effects (a claim that only Seroquel can make, based on current research).

The rare, but life-threatening neuroleptic malignant syndrome may also result from quetiapine use.

Weight gain can be a problem for some patients using quetiapine, by causing the patient's appetite to persist even after meals. However, this effect may occur to a lesser degree compared to some other atypical antipsychotics such as olanzapine or clozapine. As with other atypical antipsychotics, there is evidence suggesting a link to the development of diabetes and blood sugar disorders, however this remains controversial due to disparities between the results of studies funded by AstraZeneca and those funded by other sources. Several Seroquel diabetes lawsuits are currently in the works.[16][17]

Studies conducted on beagles have resulted in the formation of cataracts—while there are reports of cataracts occurring in humans, controlled studies including thousands of patients have not demonstrated a clear causal association between quetiapine therapy and this side effect. (Reference needed to April 2006 results of CATIE study.) However, the Seroquel® website[1] still recommends users have eye examinations every six months.

As with some other antipsychotics, quetiapine may lower the seizure threshold, and should be taken with care in combination with drugs such as bupropion.

Grapefruit or grapefruit juice may amplify the effects of the drug and should be avoided by people taking quetiapine.

5. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Use of alcohol with these drugs can cause the side effect you are having. You should avoid alcohol in high amounts if any at all while taking these meds. All affect brain function and the alcohol potentates the sedative affect of the Seroquel. You may have this effect linger for another day or so. If you don't have some relief of the symptoms in another day or so, no choice but to see your doc concerning what is happening to you, but for sure, from this moment forward do not imbibe in Alcohol until you are able to be off these medications.

Miaplacidus you did a crackerjack job in obtaining the information for him. Good show.

6. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the compliment. Anything for a friend!

7. Steam Giant

Thank you both so very much! That's a load off my mind! You guys are the best!! (&&&)

It's a bit clearer today ^^ and yesterday was clearer than the day before that, so I think it's tapering off :eusa_danc

Important question: I take the effexor early in the morning, and the seroquel late at night. Now, when you say, "no alcohol while I'm on the meds," do you mean at the time of taking them, or just not at all? Like, could I get drunk in the afternoon? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: haha! Seriously, what do you guys think? Should I abstain from alcohol completely?

Edit: Wow Fred, avoid grapefruit juice?! Crazy! Thank you so much, I never would have known that!

#7 Steam Giant, Jul 12, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would not be happy to hear this but yeah, if you're on heavy-duty psych meds, I would totally stay off alcohol completely.

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree with Joey - you should stay off the alcohol completely while you are on these meds. Although you may take them in the morning, they will be designed so the effect continues through the day. Wait until you have stopped taking the meds, then wait a couple of days, then you could start drinking alcohol (but in moderation, please).

10. Steam Giant

Hehe, thanks a million, guys! I tend to drink when I'm down usually, so this is a good reason for me to stop, hehe! Thank you all SOOO much!

11. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Definitely avoid the alcohol while you are taking these meds, otherwise you will have continuous problems as you have stated and could have something more happen to you. The combo of the meds and alcohol is really pushing down your senses and could lead to depressing body functions so much, apnea sets in and you die from lack of your lungs working properly.

The meds you take are designed for being effective over a 24 hour period, so taking them at different times just means that the coverage will be still cover all the time, the drinking will affect things just the same. It is just better to avoid it as the potential for significantly serious complications is high.