1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What causes heart attacks?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by crimsonarcher, Jul 13, 2007.

1. crimsonarcher

Anger really can trigger a heart attack. But then, so can getting sick, being too hot, being too cold, air pollution, lack of sleep, grief, overeating, natural disasters, exercise and sex.

In fact, simply waking up is the worst thing you can do if you're trying to avoid a heart attack.

Heart attacks, strokes and cardiac arrests seem to come out of the blue, but actually most occur upon waking up in the morning, according to the July 2007 issue of the Harvard Heart Letter.

Before waking, our bodies release stress hormones into the bloodstream to give us the energy to get out of bed, but this also stresses the heart slightly. That nudge can cause a cardiac event if one's arteries already are rife with festering cholesterol-rich plaque.

The dehydration that normally occurs after a night of sleep also puts a plaque-plagued circulatory system at risk. Also, heart medications wear off during the night.

A bout of anger can increase the chances of having a heart attack up to 14-fold for two hours following a flare-up, the Letter states.

Strenuous exercise such as shoveling snow or running can be a trigger, but exertion is much less likely to cause trouble in people who exercise regularly. So stay in shape, the authors advise.

Infectious diseases such as pneumonia and the flu can also trigger heart attacks and strokes.

The fact is that most people sleep too little, rise and shine, make love, shovel snow, eat too much, overheat, argue and recover from the flu without getting a heart attack.

"Still, knowing what sets off heart attacks, strokes or cardiac arrests can help you avoid triggers or blunt their power," the Letter states.

2. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Through what you say is true for the most part, these are not causes of heart attacks, just a trigger or push point to get the event going. Heart disease causes have been debated for a very long time and presently it is focused on cholesterol. There is new theory being looked into and it seems to make more sense to me. For the most part it appears to have a possible origin with an infection and results in long term inflammation in various areas of the blood vessels, when damage is done to the lining of the vessels, the body responds with certain repair white blood cells, but it causes oxidation of the LDL cholesterol and it gets laid down over the area of injury. It can keep building up and there is increased chance for it either rupturing (which causes the platelets to form a clot rather fast) or a piece of the plaque breaks off and lodges in a smaller area of blood vessel.

Various theories have been floated to explain how it comes about and it is most likely a combo of things that add to the cause but no one being the primary cause. Some have fallen out of vogue and then come back in to being a part of the equation.

Listed below are some of the activities associated with heart disease:

1. Smoking
    2. Heavy Drinking
    3. Anger
    4. Type A personality (hard charging, under stress all the time, pushing all the time) to clarify this a bit, there is thought now to be two types of type A personality; 1) the high charging, meeting challenges, being on the move all the time makes them feel alive and there is no association with any kind of threat, 2) Type Ab - Angry, impatient, feels threatened all the time - these types have the problem of developing heart disease.
    5. Having other diseases, primarily diabetes and gout. (high sugar levels in the body has a tendency to cause like a chemical burning to the tissues thus triggers the body efforts to repair damage; With gout (uric acid build up) there is formation of the uric acid crystals in joints and tendons, but there are possible other areas and this cause significant bouts of extreme inflammation with a lot of pain, swelling, with the area hot and red. Both are essentially inflammation diseases.
    6. Stress from any source, but most damaging if prolonged and unrelenting.
    7. High Blood Pressure

The reason most of the above are associated is the release of stress response hormones and the body being placed in the flight or fight mode. This mode is quite difficult on the body to sustain for long periods of time, it is like having an engine rev'd up at high RPM, if not cut back after a time, it will start flying apart.

Treatment has been primarily with the Statins, Cholesterol lowering drugs but some are questioning their value especially in light of the damage that can be done to the liver and some of the extreme side effects. It is thought now that the most helpful aspect of the statin drugs is they have some sort of anti-inflammatory affect on the body. Use of Aspirin daily keeps the platelets slippery and decreases their clumping together as easily. Use of other meds, and there are many, seems to lessen impacts of certain other things that affect the heart, i.e., taking high blood pressure medications, etc.

The various things mention in the article above can add to the onset of a heart attack because all cause an increase in stress hormones and thus their cause for actions taken on the blood vessels. They essentially cause the blood vessels to clamp down and shift blood to the large muscles, blood pressure goes up, breathing rate goes up, the liver starts converting glycogen to blood sugars, etc. All increasing the RMP of the engine.

I think in a short while the idea of an inflammation process will be brought out and instead of the cholesterol being the most important factor, C-Reactive Protein will be. CRP is a general value that denotes inflammation in the body. Any inflammatory process in the body makes this factor go up. This being said, I feel the treatments will change up once again and use of anti-inflammatory medications will be use more often, but also searches will be established to find what the cause of it is and specific treatments designed.

In the meanwhile, control of the stressor factors as mentioned above would be the most logical thing to do. If you look at them, each has an association with increasing the stress level the body deals with and it is known stress causes damage to the vascular system over time.

I don't know if this is too much information, but there it is for now and it is my "take" on this area of medicine. I didn't mention diet so much as I am unsure how much it actually contributes to the whole picture as there really hasn't been much information about certain foods or combos adding to the inflammation process, but certainly could.

3. CrimsonThunder

I think I just got scared off sex. :frowning2:

4. Torture

Torture Guest

Would being under stress 24/7 cause a heart attack? if so, then i'm screwed.

5. SpikySpice

I can not control my temperture, but I dont think I will have a heart attack but a attack:frowning2:

peopel will chase me around and beat me up:confused: