1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't sleep

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by -Michael-, Jun 9, 2009.

1. -Michael-

I've been awake for 52 hours now.

I'm wide awake, but m body feels weak.

For some reason i can't sleep at all recently.
    I either get really nervous closing my eyes. (for who knows what reason)
    Or i'm far too excited that i am tired.
    That by the time i dash to bed, i'm wide awake...

I don't take any meds.
    I refuse to take ANY medication.

Even paracetamol and even my inhalor.
    I don't like the thought of it, i don't know why.

The only time i sleep is if i'm drunk.
    But i hate being drunk and alone.

I don't like not being in control of me.
    I'm becoming a recluse.

If im not in my room im in the bathroom.
    I can't so anything proactive.
    I'm becoming a recluse.

2. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry to hear that you can't sleep. I really hope you feel better. Is there anyone in your life (or that you know of in your area- professional or otherwise) that you feel safe enough to reach out to for help? Or do you not know where to turn? I live in the US, so I don't know what mental health/counseling/medical resources are available in the UK. I know it's easy for me to say (not being in your shoes), but hang in there- you're definitely worth it.

3. -Michael-

Thanks.
    But I really don't know anything i can do.

If i mention it to my dad all he says is 'close your eyes'
    or 'count sheep'

Don't really know anyone that can help.
    I'm too nervous to see anyone anyway.

And i don't know why, usually i'm so outgoing, but recently the thought of the public makes me uncomfortable...

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

If you are suffering from insomnia, I would suggest that you see your doctor. There are medications that help. For instance, the medication I'm on, Seroquel, is used as a sleeping aid in small doses.

I would also suggest that you make yourself comfortable in bed, and also make your room very dark.

What helps me is when I leave the TV on or listen to music at a very low volume :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

5. Jim1454

Well what exactly ARE you doing? You don't go out at all? You're either in your room or in the bathroom? You're not working or going to school?

The fact that you aren't sleeping is a side effect of other problems I'm guessing. What makes you uncomfortable about going outside? How long has this been going on? Are your friends and family not concerned about your behaviour?

6. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Quick question. In the time that your not able to go to sleep are you on the computer? OR are you in a brightly lit room? If not contact your doctor because your on a one way road to insomnia. If you are spending time on the computer while you weak it could be that your messing up your sleep cycle. Dont know what its called but if your on the computer for a fixed ammount of hours you trick your brain into thinking that its day time rather than night time so the right hormones that are used to put you to sleep arent activated, messes you up even more once the sun is up. Your body gets weak because it cant recover from the extreams it has been put through. if its not the light then get to a doctor and tell them you want to sleep without drugs.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since you spend most of your time in your room, I assume you hang out on your bed. Your brain may no longer associate your bed with sleep, but all the other activities you do on it. Your bed is for sleep and that is what you need to do on it.
    :sleep:

8. -Michael-

I've finished college.
    In the middle of rooting a a job.
    But other than i read, i'm on youtube, video games tv etc

I have no idea why I don't like going outside.
    I either get too worked up with people when i am.
    Or I'm far too nervous and am afraid to even move.

My family are always working or are out themselves.
    they just assume that because my money is gone, i must have spent it on going out.

9. echapper

In one older thread you had said that you might be bipolar. Have you talked with your doctor about it? High levels of energy and insomnia could be mania phase of bipolar disorder..

Try not to do anything. Or exercise, then take a relaxing bath and then go straight to bed. It might work :slight_smile: Good Luck!

10. -Michael-

The thought never occurred to me.

But i do fit several symtoms...

but it's a low chance...
    I really don't want to see my doctor, i have no idea what to say

:/

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

The docs are suspecting bipolar w/psychotic effects or schizoaffective with me...it's not a good thing to have.

When you can't sleep, are you unusually energetic, happy, irritable, euphoric or risky? Those are signs of mania, which is the "up" part of bipolar disorder.

12. echapper

Well, if you just go and see your GP, tell him what's going on. Tell him the events that made you think of having bipolar disorder, also tell him about not being able to sleep. Was one of the insomnia reasons a need to 'do something'? Have you had mood swings? Ups and downs? Feeling great (even more than that) without a reason (or w/o a good reason)? Suddenly crashing and feeling down? There are different types of bipolar disorder, or you might be just suffering from insomnia. Still, it's good to find out.

Yeah, it's not a fun thing to have. I have a very mild form of bp2 which almost doesn't count. I even don't need any medication. However, my memory is seriously f:***: up as it is with quite a few bipolars. And I hate it! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: