1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lactose Intolerance

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Daakota, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Daakota

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone

I am more than likely going to be diagnosed with lactose intolerance here in a couple weeks when I go back to my doctor. I am currently doing the two weeks of no dairy and the symptoms I was showing have significantly improved. I am about 95% better than I was before I gave up dairy. My question is, is anyone else here lactose intolerant? I've started looking at labels when I go to the grocery store and I feel overwhelmed already.

2. GhostDog

Yes. I'm intolerant and allergic to it, sadly.

I take lactase enzyme (like Lactaid) when I want to eat something with a bit of dairy in it. It helps! But it doesn't help with the actual allergy part, and I can't drink straight milk anymore.

Soy milk is good, and rice milk will do if you can't do soy (like me, argh). They make a lot of almost-tastes-like products to replace things like milk, cheese, sour cream, etc...

But yes. It's a pain. At least avoiding dairy is easier than avoiding wheat or something!

#2 GhostDog, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  3. Eleanor Rigby

I am lactose intolerant : lactose increase my splitting headhaches troubles. I have at least twice less splitting headhaches since I have completly stoped eating dairy product.
    I have replaced yogurt with soy yogurt and milk with rice milk or amanda milk.

4. Just Adam

im sorry to hear this i couldent imagine beeing lactose intolerant :frowning2:

luckilly youve loads of great people here who can help and advise you :grin: i hope everything else goes ok at the docs....and dont worry its not that major a thing....

also is soy milk actually nice? lol never tried it i should lay of dairy stuff just cos of the fat lol

5. echapper

I'm lactose intolerant too :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But for me it's not a problem. I just replace milk with soy milk (don't like it too much) or rice milk (tastes much better than soy milk!). As of other dairy products - I can eat a little without any symptoms. I'm quite sure that many people who are just intolerant (not allergic) can eat a bit of dairy products, only when large amounts are consumed problems show up.

Also as GhostDog said, you can buy lactase enzyme if you find it difficult to avoid dairy. Many become lactose intolerent when growing up. It's not a big deal. You can say it makes you special :wink: haha!

echapper.

6. Daakota

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's nice to see I am not alone! I bought some lactose-free butter yesterday because I have gone 10 days without dairy and I love butter! It actually tasted great and like normal butter, but it is loaded with fat. One tablespoon as 17% of your daily intake, and I use A LOT of butter.

GhostDog, I totally agree with you! My cousin has Celiac Disease and I feel bad for her because of how much she can't eat. I would much rather be lactose intolerant than have Celiac Disease or a gluten intolerance. At least with lactose intolerance I will hopefully be able to take pills and be OK usually. I was tested for Celiac Disease last week, because the symptoms I was having are very similar to Celiac Disease and it runs in my family... but everything came back negative.

echapper, I'm already special :wink: just kidding. I'm actually going to be going to culinary school next year, so this should make things rather interesting. It seems like my lactose intolerance just came on without any warning. I didn't start getting obvious symptoms until April of this year. I did have abdominal pain previously for years, but never thought anything of it.

Oh, and for those that are lactose intolerant, how do the pills work for you? Do they always work? Do they actually work at all? What kind have you used, and what do you think are best? I'll probably be buying some once I am officially diagnosed.

7. EM68

I am the same way. Milk or milk products don't effect my digestive system but I get real bad headaches when I have milk. I can have a little bit of milk like in a cake or something but I could never drink a glass of milk or a piece of pizza.

8. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Lately I've been thinking I may be lactose intolerant. I get stomachaches and bad indigestion when I drink plain milk. I started drinking Lactaid a few weeks ago and it helps--it tastes exactly like regular milk. I'm planning to try soymilk next to see how it goes.

A little bit of dairy doesn't hurt me, though. Like if I eat a little bowl of ice cream I'm okay, or if there's milk in a recipe I'll be fine. And for some reason cheese, as long as it's not too much, doesn't hurt me. But if I have a full glass of regular milk or a bowl af cereal with milk, I know I'll regret it.

9. echapper

Daakota, once you know what's wrong there shouldn't be any problems avoiding stomach cramps. And I'd love to hear some feedback on pills too. Summer's almost here and it could be an useful addition to huge portions of ice cream! :wink:

10. GhostDog

That, I think, is milk allergy, rather than lactose intolerance. And I don't really think there's much that can be done about it. =/ I feel for you! I get digestive symptoms and allergy symptoms, so I know how it is.

Lactaid works wonders! If you have allergy symptoms like a stuffy nose or headache, it won't do a thing, but if your problem is with digesting it, they work wonderfully. Take 2 before a meal, maybe 3 if it's a huge portion of milkiness. =P I still have problems with, say, drinking plain milk, or having milk on cereal, but things like ice cream and cheesy pasta? I can eat those, so long as I don't mind the headaches, hehe.