1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sweating when eating cheese (unprocessed)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Revan, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay I know it's weird, and I have a feeling it might be that I'm partially allergic, but when I'm having things like cheese cubes, or blocks of cheese, whatever, I consistently sweat for the time im eating until I stop eating said cheese. I seem to be fine when I eat processed cheese slices, or have like chocolate milk, regular milk so I can't actually be lactose-intolerant, but do you think it could be lactose sensitive or something?. So I really don't understand what the problem is...Any ideas?

2. Just Adam

it could be Casomorphins peptides, basically fragments of milk protein that depending on the type which i believe depends on the type of milk and then cheese they can have an opiotic substance in some cases, :S .... google tells me weird things id never of known ha!

so basically you could be getting drugged up on cheese:S

maybe not lieklly for you but its an option :slight_smile:

3. Porphyrogenitus

I'm told that certain long and unpronouncable enzymes in cheese can have an adrenaline-like effect in certain people, thereby stimulating your body and blood-pressure and suchlike, and causing you to sweat.

This might explain why processed cheese doesn't have an effect, since the processing could well change or remove the specific enzymes responsible.

4. KaraBulut

What you're describing is called the "cheese reaction" in pharmacology.

Certain foods, like cheeses, have substances in them called amines (e.g. tyramine) that can trigger reactions in the body, like sweating and a rise in blood pressure. The stomach and intestines have a substance that does a pretty good job of blocking most of the effects of amines. In some people, the blocking is not as effective and they do have a cheese reaction.

There is a class of antidepressants called MAOI inhibitors that also interfere with the body's ability to block amines. People who are on this type of antidepressant aren't allowed to eat foods that are high in amines, like cheese.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any solutions though people? Cz I like cheese and don't wanna have to quit eating it just cuz of something stupid like this.

6. -Michael-

This made me laugh. :')

I'd say stop eating it.
    But toddle off to the doc's office and see if there is anything he can do.