1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imaaaagination~

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Andeh, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Andeh

Andeh Guest

I am either having worlds of trouble getting to sleep because of an overactive imagination and my ability to be so afraid of fictional things, or am using this to subconsciously give myself a reason to stay up on the computer until the sun comes up.

But the second reason would kind of confirm the first, wouldn't it? I have no idea. I'm tired. I can't lie down and go to sleep in the dark (or for some reason the artificial light) and must wait for the sun to come up before lying down and closing my eyes, and haven't bee able to sleep in the dark for the past two days because I am a pansy with a mind that won't shut up about spooky little creepy things that want to kill me. It's like some disturbed five year old who likes to draw creepy things and slap them in my face to see if he can get a reaction.

This has been an on and off thing, but mostly happens during the summer because I don't have jack shart to do because I need to get of my arse and get a job so I have other things on my mind. It's the only strategy that's ever worked against my overactive imagination or whatever you want to call it, which is having something else to think about.

I've gained a lot of control over it the past three years of my life, it really started when I was 15 and saw a freaky thing on the internet. Still can't really grasp the metaphorical reigns and get it to stop. I used to just punch myself in the head. Past that now, yay! :3

I never seem to be be able to properly express this to anyone successfully, and it feels good to write this down because I feel it makes a lot more sense in text form, even if most of my sentences are disgruntled run-ons.

Halp plox, if you can? Should I find a mental health forum? @_@

*has trouble pressing the submit new thread button and making a good title*

2. Andeh

Andeh Guest

Darn.

I regret posting this now that I've snapped out of whatever state of mind I was in last night. Ohvell.

Sorry for the... Sleep deprived rant? Iunno. Sorry. >.o

3. cpt doodles

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    im sortof on the same boat with the first thing, i cant get really REALLY frightened about things i know for a fact arent real, even if ive made them up!! it sux

4. Seags

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey,

I a have kinda similar problems : once i'm in bed I just can't let my mind in peace, and start thinking to 13254564 random things in the same time (not so random... its usually things that make me feel fear, hate etc...). I had also been moved by some horror things and had some kind of anxiety attacks, but it slowly went down and those days it rarelly disturbs me.

Did you try to do something that will make your brain intensely work? Like puzzles, homeworks...etc As you said the problem is that you are "overactive" once in bed, so it should helps to mentally tire you. It sometimes work with me.

I REALLY apologize for the bad english.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Sleeping in the dark, helps growth, helps with your hormones :slight_smile:

6. Eleanor Rigby

I used to have the same problem when I was around 20.
    At that time I was also severly depressed, but even after the depression lifted up, I still had troubles to sleep at night when I was alone (when my husband who then was my boyfriend was staying over, I had no troubles to go to sleep).
    I suggest you to talk about it to your doctor. He migh give you something to help you sleep and release your anxiety at night.
    I also suggest you to try to take healthier sleeping habits. I remember that the later is stayed up and the more difficult it became to go to bed. I suggest you to try to go to bed early, maybe around 10 pm, before feeling really anxious. Don't stay on your computer before going to bed, spend at least half and our reading or listening relaxing music in bed with a softened light. If you're living at your parent's house, leave the door of your bedroom open, you that you don't feel too alone. Keep a soft light or a night light on. Maybe, listen some relaxing music, either a play list you like or anti-stress music, this really helped me to find sleep again.
    I hope it helps a little. Take care

7. Synth177

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know how you feel. I went through the same shit almost every night until recently but it still occasionally happens. One thing that helps is silently counting numbers in a patern such as 1,3,2,4,3,5,etc. Just go on as long as you can go until you pass out.

8. ColdSnap

I second this

9. Johnnieguy

I second the idea of getting away from your computer screen/tv before going to bed. It messes with your ability to shut your body down. Also, a lot of people have alarm clocks and cell phones near their bed at night. Try moving them away (3 feet or more) from where your head rests at night. Even though you can't see them, these electronics DO emit electromagnetic radiation. It's possible you might be affected by these more than the average person.

I use reason to sway my fears. I know there isn't anything in my house because that would require someone to make noise. And with my scientific background, I don't (usually) believe in paranormal or supernatural activity. There is logic and reason to the way the world works, and darkness is beautiful.

Sometimes I sleep with my curtains open. Lets in the moonlight, and I find it peaceful. Also makes it a heck of lot easier to get up in the morning with the sun streaming in. I also sleep with my door open (with parents right now..And I mainly do that because I like having the animals sleep in my room with me). Even when I lived alone I did that too....But it was because the door wouldn't stay shut and I just saw no need to close it. Maybe I got myself conditioned to doing that?

As far as sleep aides go...I would stay away from them, as they have nasty side effects. That, and you can go to Google Scholar and get primary scientific literature for free which is the DRIEST material you will ever read and it has always put me to sleep..Even when it was my job to understand it all. And who knows, maybe you will learn something and that will help quell your overactive imagination.