1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay friendly doctor.....

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by wtinal, Jul 15, 2007.

1. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am wondering how to find a gay friendly doctor. I really like my current doctor, but I am not sure how he will respond to me being gay.

At some point, I would like to get pregnant. In order to use "home" artificial insemination, the vials must be sent to your family physician. My physician would want answers to a lot of questions - including spouse, etc. He is a Christian and he attends the church that I used to attend.

I know my doctor has to be professional and everything, but I would like to find a doctor who would actually be supportive by choice rather than by professional obligation.

Any suggestions.

2. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

See if you have a local GLBT group and if so, call and ask if they know of any local gay friendly physicians or ask of any people you know are gay in your location. It is not something advertised at this time within the profession, but there are many physicians out there who are gay friendly and gay themselves. Good luck.

3. liszak

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Alternatively, you could try www.glma.org, which is the website for the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association. Under "For Patients" there's a link to a referral directory. I haven't used it myself, but I think GLMA's a pretty reputable organization, so it might be worth a shot if you can't find a more personal recommendation from LGBT people in your area.

4. EthanS

EthanS Guest

o.0 i dint kno theres gay clinics...=S

5. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Ethan, yes many places in the UK also have gay type clinics. May I suggest looking up local GBLT groups to you who will be able to steer you in the right direction. North East for example has Mesmac

www.mesmac.co.uk

6. xMichaelx

My Docter is gay...just a side note. I dont think it's that different than a straight one cause they have to show equal respect for both sexes and orientation. But then again i dont know.

7. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ya, you are right. There will not be much of a difference between a straight doctor and a gay one. I don't even necessarily want to find a gay doctor. But, I would like to find one who can be excited at the idea of a gay couple having a baby via artificial insemination. And my doctor, well, he would be respectful but not happy for me. There are enough challenges for gay couples having children, and I just don't want my doctor to be one of them.

8. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I will be looking into them.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wtinal, I could be wrong about doctors in England, but I'm pretty sure they have rules where they cannot judge based on religion. They are doctors who try to help the public health, not ban people from health care because they're gay. I personally would follow the info above my post, but I'm sure that even if your doctor is against homosexuals, he can't deny you anything because of it.