1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horrible "charlie horse" calf cramps?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Katherine, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I know everyone gets them once in a while, that sudden shooting pain that hits your calf if you stretch your leg a certain way. But I've been getting them really often lately, like twice a month or something. See, I don't remember getting these at all when I was little, it's just been for the past few months. I get the cramp in the middle of the night and the pain wakes me up because it's really horrible for about 30 seconds to a minute, and then it just kind of fades out and I fall back asleep and then get up the next morning with a really sore calf muscle. It's becoming really annoying.

Anyone know what might be causing this? And if not, does anyone know any methods of alleviating the pain a little?

2. Jim1454

I'd chalk it up to growing pains. Have you possibly had a 'growth spurt' lately?

Stretching before bed might help. Don't over do it though. Stretching of the calf muscles should be a very subtle thing - most people over do it.

3. KaraBulut

Nocturnal calf cramps do seem to get worse in adolescence.

There are three things that seem to be common causes of "charley horse" cramps.
    1. Dehydration
    2. Electrolyte imbalance
    3. Inactivity of the muscle during the day or toe pointing during sleep

Dehydration is simple enough to address. Make sure you're consuming enough fluids during the day.

Electrolyte imbalances seem to be related to potassium and calcium. Bananas are a good source for potassium, as is Gatorade. Calcium is found in dairy products and there are also orange juice preparations that have calcium added.

Before going to bed, trying some gentle stretches of the calf.

4. Mickey

I know when my friend had that problem,she had a Vitamin D defichency.( I know I totally spelled that wrong!) If it doesn't go away,you should probably see your Dr. But I'd listen to
    Karabulut,too. He's the expert here! Good luck!

5. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    This seems like the most likely option. Since summer's started I've pretty much lazed around most days and haven't eaten well, etc. I should probably work on better vitamin habits.

Thanks for the info! I'll try stretching before bed.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've heard potassium helps. So I eat more bananas when I am getting them.

7. pirateninja

Yeah, I used to get them really bad in the night as well. I thought that mine was down to growing pains as well, as mine have almost completely stopped. However, it doesn't hurt to keep hydrated, so I'd follow Kara's advice. :slight_smile:

8. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I have the same problem. I have to watch how I lay down some times or when I stretch otherwise I trigger them. And hopefully, i'm not growing any more. :dry: Mine used to bring me to tears but not anymore. They are extremely painful. I used to get them in both legs...Man, does it suck. I couldn't wish that on anyone. (and there are plenty of things I wish on people :badgrin:slight_smile:

9. KaraBulut

One other thing to mention. Many times you can break the spasm by flexing your foot to its maximum flex point. You can do this by grabbing your toes with your hand and pulling your toes toward your knees (if someone happens to be nearby, they can help). The other alternative is to place your foot on the floor and bend your knee toward the floor until the cramp stops.

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-deal-with-a-cramp-in-the-calf

10. Tim

Tim

I'm not sure about others, but these started like the main poster when I was about 16.

When they happen, they hurt so bad, I almost cry. I can barely move my leg. The only way I can deal with it is to bend my leg in as far as I can, (which is essentially the 2nd method, just without the floor...)

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Oh, I forgot to mention that Kara. I learned that's how you 'fix' the cramps. I got one maybe a week or two ago but when you flex them to their maximum, which sounds like a really stupid idea, it actually works. The pain usually halves then dissipates immediately.

12. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I get cramps I gobble 3 Tums. The calcium gets into the blood right away and settles things down almost instantly. I know how bad the bedtime cramps can hurt. The can be so gripping and crippling. good luck

13. Roralo

Roralo Guest

I've been looking for people that shared the same problem. Mine periodically comes, sometimes I don't get a calf cramp for months on end, other times, I get them every night and I'm making up howling in pain. I've been solving this issue by drinking some more water. :grin: