1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muscle-Building Q's/1 Eye Q

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by 24601, Jul 15, 2007.

1. 24601

Hey,

I am looking for some advice from someone who's a little bit more experienced at working with weights to give me a few pointers.

First up, I'm about 5'10" and 167 lbs, and have been losing weight over the last 5 months now. I do not know if I'm going to stop losing any time soon, as I'd like to be around 150-160. Would it be more beneficiary to wait until I'm finished losing weight to start building some muscle?

Second, I am using a bow flex like machine, essentially an all-in-one gym type thing. It has a list of the basic exercises, and I know most of the basics of this stuff from gym class. Is this information correct?

-More sets/less reps/more weight to build muscle, the opposite to tone. I'm not trying to get bulky, so I want to build a little then just tone.
    -Don't exercise the same muscle day after day. Try to alternate.

And that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge. Any other tips?

I have some lower back pain occasionally. What are some specific exercises to improve this? I tried doing an exercise to work my back muscles on the machine, but started doing them wrong at first. Whoops. When I got down to doing it, though, it didn't seem to be doing much. It was something like a lat pull-down. Are there any machine or no-machine exercises to improve my back?

Does anyone have a specific exercise routine that works for them?

I run almost daily. Would you recommend doing the weight lifting before, after, or at a completely separate time than the running?

On a totally separate note, but not one that I felt warranted it's own thread, there is a strange purplish discoloration on my bottom left eye lid. I made a picture, only with someone with a much prettier eye than me.

[​IMG]

It's in that area, only purplish. Quite small. Follows the "ridge" for lack of a better term. It doesn't hurt, and I didn't notice it for a few days. I wear contacts, if that makes a difference, and use ReNu eye stuff.

Any ideas about this? It doesn't affect me, other than the weird look.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

2. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

Eye problem first, likely your rubbed your eye and it caused a small bleed under the skin on the eye lid. Happens and should clear in a few days. Should it get larger or not be clearing in a week, see a doc.

You are correct with the building of muscle verses toning and how to break up your routine so as to not exercise the same muscle group on a daily basis. Running and workouts- if possible break them up, ie, running in the morning, muscle workout in the afternoon. Work out five days a week verses only three.

Understand, losing weight is a good idea, but as you start to work out, you will gain weight and depending on how much muscle you pack on, it will show on the scale as well as how you look. Muscle weighs more than fat, so you may have to have someone check your body fat content instead of relying on a weight scale. Commercial gyms have calipers to measure skin folds at various locations on the body and then run through a formula and will come up the body fat. Up to 8% is ok. You don't want it to get too much below 8% as it is found with individuals who run less than 8% have less overall stamina or ability to continue moderate to heavy physical exertion for prolonged periods of time without refueling.

Bowflex like gyms are fine, but if you can add some free weights it would help. The machines will work a specific muscle only, while when using the free weights you will exercise the specific muscle but also those muscles around it that stabilize it, thus you get a better balanced look.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

3. 24601

Thanks for the response, JayHew. (*hug*)

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As somone said in another thread, the best way to strengthen your back is to work your abs. Basic crunches will help but I'm sure there are variations you can find online.

My understanding re: muscle groups is that you should wait at least 48 hours and preferrably 72 between working them, so don't do like biceps Tue then biceps Wed.

I believe squats help with one's back, too. Or maybe that's just one's butt. I cannot fully recall.

5. Red87

I just follow the army training regimen, and It keeps me in decent shape.

Monday: run 3-4 miles in the morning (7 AM to 8 AM), if you feel up to it, run another 3-4 in the afternoon (5PM to 6 PM), 3-4 miles should only take you an hour at most, if you allow the first and last 10 minutes for stretching, (Only 40 minutes of actual running).

Tuesday: Work your Upper body with Pushups (Do Wide-arm, Regular and Close hand (hands together under your body) each type of push-up works a different muscle group), dumbells and work your abdominals, (Situps, Rocky Situps, Crunches, Flutter Kicks . Flutter Kicks are excellent because when done correctly, not only will they work your neck and your abs, they also work the muscles in your thighs and will improve your run as well. Try do to do 50 of them using a count of four (1, 2, 3, 1, 1 , 2, 3, 2, 1, 2, 3, 3... and all the way up to 50. The goal of the upper body workout is To reach muscle failure, meaning you can't physically do any more excersise, because your muscles are too weak.

Wednesday: Repeat the same as monday, a brisk 3-4 mile run

Thursday: Muscular Strength & Endurance + Muscle Failure, same as tuesday. Alternate Pushups and situps or other similar excersises until you can't physically do anymore.

Friday: Cardio, Run 3-4 miles.

Saturday & Sunday: Rest, enjoy your weekend.

This is our typical army week for Physical training. You only get out of it what you put into it. I'm slowly losing weight from this even though I eat horribly, and am always eating junk food. If I was actually trying to lose weight, I'd probably see a much bigger difference. I've also packed on a ton of muscle weight. I've been following this schedule for more than a year now, and I'm in the best shape of my life.

6. K0msomolets

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I occassionally have bad lower back pain. My chiropractor told me to squat - yeah, to squat like you're taking a dump outdoors in a field or something. Squat as low as you can, pulling your knees towards your armpits/chest area and feel those lower back muscles stretch. Hold for 5 minutes and then get up slowly.

Another one is to lie down on a solid surface. Put a few books under your bottom to elevate it say 4 inches or so. Then pull the knee of one leg only towards you chest as far as it will go and extend the other leg straight and to the floor. Hold for a while before doing the opposite with the legs. Repeat the whole lot several times and Bob's your uncle.

You will need to learn some exercises to build you core muscle strength - these are muscles along your spine on the inside. Working on abdominal muscles is only part of the solution. There are 'pilates' type exercises that are good for this core strength building, so take a class and ask the teacher to show you.

Finally, back pain prevention is important so learn and use the correct was to pick up heavy objects from floor level, to get out of bed and how to maintain good posture when seated. I know its commfie to slouch on the sofa but its not commfie when you've done your back in again!! I hope that helps your back problems.

As for putting on some weight - I suggest a modest protein supplement whilst doing high weight, low reps exercises for where you want to build muscle. Also eat enough carbs. Thats about as much as I can say. I hope that all helps.

#6 K0msomolets, Jul 26, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2007