1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative methods for facial cleansing?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GhostDog, Jun 30, 2009.

1. GhostDog

Arr, I did a search, but I saw only one topic that talked about dry skin and it didn't discuss this particular method, so I thought I'd make one and see what y'all think!

Upon griping about my annoying skin (both oily and flaky, clogged pores galore, and super-freaking sensitive to some ingredient or other various cleansers), a friend said that washing her face with a mix of castor oil and olive oil got rid of her clogged pores. (I think the principle is that oil dissolves oil or something.) I've been trying it, and it does seem to have made my skin softer so far, but I still have visibly flaky skin. And I seem to be breaking out a little bit.

I've read that witch hazel is supposed to be good for skin care, too, but I've also read a lot of, uh, interesting theories on the ol' internet, so at this point I honestly have no idea who's full of crap and who isn't.

I know facial cleansers aren't supposed to be as bad for your skin as plain old soap, but I have a hard time finding one that I don't have a reaction to, or that doesn't make it look like it's snowing every time I scratch my face (despite putting on moisturizer right after I wash it). I drink a lot of water, too, so I'm at a loss as to what my deal is. I don't know, I kind of wonder if accutane didn't ruin my skin (it got rid of the cystic acne, which was ruining it anyway, but still).

I'm stuck. Every time I go to the dermatologist, I get sent home with expensive prescriptions that don't seem to fix the problem. Do you guys have any suggestions? At this point I'm willing to try just about anything. =/

#1 GhostDog, Jun 30, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  2. KatoKumi

Geesh, I understand your problem. I'm sorry. Did you conduct the test for if you have oily, dry, or combination skin? It seems like you need a good exfoliating face-wash.

I had a lot of problems finding a good face wash too because of my eczema.

If your skin's really sensitive to new products, you should use a milky cleanser like Cetaphil [which I use when my skin's really sensitive].

Most of the time, though, it's just dry, and sometimes a little flaky. To avoid getting clogged pores, I suggest using Neutrogena Blackhead Eliminating Daily Scrub. Great beads, no allergens. And it just feels great. You just have to use it correctly. Open the pores with warm water, scrub out, wash out with warm water, then close with cold.

Hopefully this helped. Not a professional here; just what I do at home.

3. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I have a couple friends who have VERY delicate skin. Essentially, if they use anything scented, with beads, or not hypoallergenic, they bust out into a nasty bit of acne/flaking skin. It's a sight to behold.

I'm going to recommend the same product as Kato. They both swear by:

Cetaphil
    This girl has skin that easily freckles and breaks out into tremendous amounts of acne. The other girl uses it because she has terrible reactions to scented washes. They both have beautiful skin.

My personal skin care routine involves the Nivea Gentle line. I use the Gentle Cleanser, the Toner in the mornings and a moisturizer (I'm currently seeking something less oily). I also use Vaseline for particularly dry spots. I like to scrub down with the Apricot Scrub from St. Ives occasionally. And once a week, I use the following facial mask:

[YOUTUBE]Q-Hksg8B4cQ[/YOUTUBE]

4. GhostDog

I shall try these things! Thanks for the suggestions. =D

5. KaraBulut

By the way, witch hazel is the active ingredient in Sea Breeze. It's a low-tech pore cleanser that is not too drying.

Combination skin- that is dry skin with heavy oil- is one of the more difficult things to treat. You might talk to your dermatologist about a repeat course of Accutane. In addition to clearing up cystic acne, Accutane can also result in permanent changes in the consistency of the oils in the skin. For those who have a tendency toward a waxy, thick oil (called sebum), Accutane may help.

6. KatoKumi

I wanted to personally try out both methods for you, but the aspirin's really nice and soothing.

Just don't get the honey all over yourself. I wanted to die :frowning2:

7. GhostDog

Haha aww, thanks! I'll be sure to check that one out next. =D And, uh, noted about the honey, there. =P