1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bad drinking coffee young?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by 507bro, Jul 10, 2009.

1. 507bro

okay i've been drinking coffee, well not coffee coffee
    but like lattes, capp., etc.
    my mom been getting at me at drinking coffee stuff
    because i'm young, i'm 17, should i stop drinking it?
    i don't drink it everyday but i drink it once an a while.

2. Eleanor Rigby

If think drinking a cafe latte or cappucino once in a while couldn't hurt :wink: even if you're 17.

3. mattypants

if its lattes and the like, its probably the cost and not the thing itself getting at her... thats been the case for my brother and his friends anyway

4. bob4carl09

bob4carl09 Guest

I don't know, my mom used to go mental at me for coffee, on account of my grandmother becomming addicted to caffeine years ago. She went to the extent that she limited me to 1 cup a day max, and made me drink tea the rest of the time. (About 3 months onto this regime I discovered that there's more caffeine in a tea bag than in a teaspoon of coffee - the day I passed this news on to her might've been the happiest of my teenage life!)

You're fine, if it's one cup daily and you feel like it's harder to function on days you skip it thenyou need to have a think, but sounds like you're ok. But bare in mind your moms just concerned, this is one of those hoops you just have to jump through fom time to time :slight_smile:

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Caffeine is a socially acceptable addiction. It is the reason that Starbucks is wildly successful... and for that matter, Coca-Cola, Mountain Dew, and most energy drinks also :slight_smile:

That said, a cup a day isn't going to kill you. The issue is when you start to get into higher amounts of coffee (or bigger cups.) Caffeine gives you a lift, but you get a crash when it wears off, and it can be hard on your endocrine system if you drink too much of it.

If you find that you *need* coffee, or you start to get headaches from not drinking it, then you have developed a caffeine addiction and should, if you want optimum health, cut down or eliminate it. The "caffeine headache" that comes from withdrawal can be miserable, but only lasts a day or two.

6. Apocalypte

I've been a caffeine addict since I was about 14, and the only reason I don't stop now is that the withdrawals are hideous for me. I quit for about 3 months when I was 22, and for about a week afterwards I could barely function because I had so many headaches.

I should quit, but coffee is SO good...

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are some really good decaf coffees now that are pretty much indistinguishable from their caffeinated siblings. So if it's the taste you're after, they've got you covered :slight_smile:

8. KaraBulut

The fat in the latte is probably worse for you than the coffee.

The question of coffee is one of quantity. If you're having a cup of coffee in the morning, that's fine. The problem comes when you start drinking venti coffees several times a day. That's a lot of caffeine.

Same is true of colas, energy drinks, etc. One can a day is fine but beyond that you're consuming alot of carbohydrate and caffeine that you don't need and isn't particularly good for you.

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Those are types of coffee :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: . We had a chapter on food in my intensive Italian class junior year in high school and we had to memorize all the types of coffee >.< . I failed that test xD .

10. jonny

Coffee isn't bad for u its just that u get addicted to caffeine. Its good to develop ur own natural rhythm instead of relying on coffee to keep u up. When u dont hav it ur going to be introuble

11. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister's been drinking two cups of coffee a day since she was about 12 and doesn't seem to have any sort of dependence - she's gone longish periods without it and not had a problem. Obviously this isn't going to be the case for anyone, but it's more than possible for some people to drink it regularly without becoming addicted.

12. Pasalacqua

If it's more of an issue of the actual caffeine rather than cost, I would try and switch over to decaf lattes and drinks of the like.
    Caffeine does stunt growth, however, at 17, I'm sure you've reached/are close to your maximum height anyway.

13. RaeofLite

I was drinking a couple of redbull a day when I was 15, then switched to mostly coffee at 16, drinking 1-12 cups a day for a couple years. :S I've calmed down since then. :slight_smile:

It's probably not the greatest to be so anxiety ridden but if you can control it with 2-3 cups of java (meaning the smaller cups since the larger are worth 3-4 actual cups in a 24 or larger oz cup,) then it's ok. :slight_smile:

14. Derek the Wolf

Caffeine isn't bad for you until it really becomes addictive. My sister used to drink several pots every day... like 36 cups worth. She has heart problems now. I don't recommend it in excess.
    As for me, a few sodas and an energy drink or coffee once in a while is all, usually no more than 200mg caffeine per day, but sometimes more. One day I took 3 caffeine pills... had about 800mg caffeine in 4 hours. Also, don't recommend it. Was not fun.

15. Just Adam

theres worse things you could take, if coffee is what ya like and it keeos you going just drink it

16. Bevo

lattes and cappucinos are coffee! and I drink it all the time. Coffee is great and sometimes gets me through an otherwise awfu day.