1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Excruciating Pain

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Swamp56, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I went to the doctor yesterday and he told me that I have gastroenteritis, aka a stomach virus. He prescribed me some medication to hold back the nausea and vomiting.

The issue is that when I wake up in the morning, I have excruciating pain on the left side of my chest, stomach, and abdomen. It gets to a point where I'm practically in a fetal position because the pain is so bad.

I don't know what to do about this because it's so painful; I told my dad that if it happens again tomorrow morning, that I'm going to go to the hospital. I have never felt pain of this type before. It's almost like someone is stabbing me repeatedly with a knife.

2. KaraBulut

I see from your signature that you've got a complicated history. What medications are you taking?

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Erm, I'm on:

Seroquel: 400mg bid (x2)
    Trileptal: 150mg bid (x2)
    Lexapro: 20mg tid (x3)
    Welbutrin: 150mg qd (x1)

Also, my doctor put me on a medication to keep the nausea and vomiting at bay.

My dx's are: Anxiety, OCD, Schizoaffective Disorder (bipolar subtype).

#3 Swamp56, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2009
  4. Camman3

In Level 3 First Aid, we are tought to recognise pain originating from the upper left quadrant of your abdomen as a problem with your stomach, your spleen or your transverse or descending colon. It would appear that the pain is coming from your stomach... obviously because of the gastroenteritis...

The way we are taught to deal with patients who are in a lot of pain (hence move around and won't sit still and let us treat them), we just ask them to find the most comfortable position. If cramping up into the foetal position works best to soothe the pain - then do that. That's your body's way of saying "Hey, this is OK" and when you're pain, your body's telling you it's not OK. If you can't get out of the foetal position after a while WITHOUT it still hurting, that's a concern. Then you should check with your doctor again (and maybe ask him to check your spleen as well).

Otherwise, I'm sure the pain is just stemming from the gastro, and the medication will help to fight it off. You'll be better in no time, don't worry about it. Try to just grit your teeth through it for now. Good luck!