1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infection through oral?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by xXHolic, Jul 19, 2009.

1. xXHolic

I am asking this question as yesterday (to be exact like 5 hours ago) I had oral sex with a guy I barely knew.. Is there a danger in swallowing sperm from other guys??
    I know it's not dangerous if the other guy is not infected with something.. but if he is infected by anything, it there a chance he can transmit it to you over oral action??
    I've checked for open mouth wounds, but my mouth is healthy and there is no sign of anywhere the virus could take hold..
    please I need an answer :tears:

2. littledinosaurs

I'm not an expert, but i believe the risk is low.
    But it still exists.

3. Bookmarked

As a general rule, the transmission of sexually transmitted infections orally is quite rare and very low risk but not unheard of.

Generally speaking, oral sex is a low risk activity, that's made more risky by the act of swallowing, or if you have open cuts/sores/ulcers in your mouth. It's highly unlikely that you've picked something up. However, if you're still concerned, you might want to book yourself for an STI test in a couple of weeks time.

As a future thing, try to avoid unprotected sex of any kind, especially with new partners and people you don't know the infectious status of. Make sure that you don't have any ulcers or similar and don't brush your teeth beforehand (it tends to leave lots of little cuts, and thus points of entry). Hope that helped.

4. xXHolic

A friend of mine just told me that if the HIV infects you (even through oral sex), your organism reacts like you have the flu.. Like with fever, sore throat etc.. it this even true?

5. Eleanor Rigby

I've found this on http://www.aids.org which I think is quite a reliable website.

6. Bookmarked

Yes and no. In some cases, the very first stage of HIV infection is something called acute viraemia. This causes flu-like symptoms which go away when the disease becomes dormant. However, it's not reliable, since not everyone gets it; many people get it to different degrees and well, you might have just got a touch of the flu. If you're still concerned about your status, wait a couple of weeks and then go get an STI test.

7. xXHolic

What about these diseases? Are they curable with antibiotics or so?? And mainly, do they have symptoms so that you understand you are infected??

thanks everyone, im so worried right now :frowning2:

8. Bookmarked

A lot of the other diseases are treatable, manageable or curable. It doesn't help you much to think of a long list of every possible disease that has sexual transmission as a route. It'll just worry you for no real reason.

Don't try and diagnose yourself; leave that to the professionals. As I've said twice before, just wait a couple of weeks, then get a test if you're worried.

9. KaraBulut

From the sticky on top of this forum:

10. xXHolic

Thanks everyone for your help!! I love you all!!

Fyi, I have decided not to get more anxious or worried, and I'll do as Bookmarked said... I'll just see how it goes for the following weeks, and If something turns up, I'll make a test or something.!

thank you!! :slight_smile:

11. Jekko

mann.. that's why i'm still a virgin... it's hard to trust someone! Especially with the gay community.

12. JakeBHT

Well as long as you are safe Jekko, it should be fine but your choice!

13. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

risk is low, but I must stress that it's not safe to play with those you don't know.

14. xXHolic

haha yea. I now know that xD

thanks god im more relaxed about the issue now... I found a way to talk to him next weekend, then I'll ask him about whether he is infected with anything... I hope I receive a negative answer..

15. Derek the Wolf

Unfortunately you'll get probably a negative answer even if he does have something. He may not be aware if he has something, or just may be embarrassed to admit it.
    Still, if you're not showing any symptoms, then I wouldn't worry about it. If you're sexually active with more than 1 person then get an HIV test every 6 months or so, other than that just relax. :slight_smile: Have fun.

16. xXHolic