1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm REALLY afraid of the dark. Also, an OCD thing?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by notquitebutch, Jul 21, 2009.

1. notquitebutch

Long story short, I'm really really super afraid of the dark. I don't know why, but It's keeping me from sleeping.

This started when I was about 14? Up until then I wasn't afraid of anything... I could do haunted corn mazes, watch scary movies, and be perfectly fine. Now, though, I just can't stand being in the dark. Sometimes It gets so bad that I start to feel reeeeeally anxious, start to get warm and almost hyperventilate. I don't know what I'm going to do!

I'm exhausted. I've been up for the past hour distracting myself and watching family guy online so I don't have to go in my bed.

Ugh. I also have this little ocd problem. It started as me having to knock on wood everytime some bad thought came into my mind, then it turned into me knocking on wood and cracking my knuckles, then just cracking my knuckles, and now I have to think to myself, "Everyone I love will live a happy/long/healthy life especially my kitty" and forcibly crack my knuckles 10 times if they don't crack by themselves, and since knuckles only crack naturally every 30 mins, I'm allllllways forcing them to crack (I put my index finger over my middle finger and push down until the knuckle at the base of my finger 'cracks', and it's probably not good for my hands considering if I do it too much it starts to hurt... but I have to do it.) It's gotten so bad now that I have to do it not only if i think of something bad, but if I think about actually doing this! (As I'm typing this, I have to keep doing it.) The worst part about this is that it isn't just at night, it's allllllll day.

(I should probably add that I was trying to wean myself off of this by cutting it down to 5 times, but... then my cat fell off of a very high shelf in my garage, landed on his back, and was perfectly fine, and now the thought is in my head that this helped him live. FML this isn't healthy)

I'm really freaked out. I can't sleep because I'm afraid something's coming for me, and because I keep thinking that, I have to keep cracking my knuckles. Should I get pills to help me sleep? It's 1:42 am, I'm so tired that I'm nauseous, but I'm too afraid to go to bed.
    :bang:

#1 notquitebutch, Jul 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. GhostDog

Honestly, I'd recommend seeing a psychologist, or a psychiatrist, or some combination. That does sound pretty OCD to me, but I'm not a trained professional, and I honestly have no idea what kind of coping mechanisms there are.

In the meanwhile, maybe you could get a nightlight to help with the dark problem?

But, yeah, I'd go see a doctor. They'd probably have a better idea of what to do. =/

3. notquitebutch

I'm afraid to put a nightlight on, too, since I feel like if someone's around they'll see my light on and come in my room first :'D Which is totally ridiculous but I can't help it.

4. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    get after it and it will get better. good luck, soon.

5. GhostDog

I'm not entirely sure what to tell you. =( I can sympathize with the irrational feelings. I used to be afraid that I was going to somehow stab my dog, even when I was nowhere near a knife and would never dream of doing a bad thing to that dog. Or when someone would almost veer into me on the road, I'd imagine that they had, and I'd imagine the wreck, the doctors declaring me dead, my parents identifying me, the funeral, my mom bawling her eyes out, to the point where I'd start crying. I couldn't stop it, couldn't not think about it for whatever reason. And I really, really don't know why.

All I know is that it was harder to tell myself it was all irrational and ignore it when I was stressed. Being stressed or upset made it so much harder to control. I don't know if that's the case with you, but is there something you can do that calms you down? Music? Reading? Meditating? These are supposed to be good for relaxation, and they're pillowy and might help you sleep?

... Still. I'd see a professional about it, if it's getting to the point where you're going to damage yourself, and it's disrupting your life.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd suggest a place to startwould be going to see your family doctor, who'll most likely be able to refer you to a good psychologist or psychiatrist. Not because you're crazy, because you're not, but this does sound like something you need some professional help with, especially if it's giving you problems day-to-day like not being able to sleep. (*hug*)

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    There is medication for OCD! I have had a couple OCD children in my care and one of my daughters' friends has OCD. It can be helped. Pay a visit to your doctor and see what he/she can do for you. Not sleeping can cause more mental health issues and you don't want that!

8. lachsmith

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight

OMG. dude i have the same problem about the ocd thing.
    like when i can't get to sleep , i usually have my eyes open looking at the top of my bunk bed planks, and my brain says touch it and if i don't i wont fall asleep.
    And also whenever i think of someone that has died for instance my father or dog, i have to pray or else they have a bad afterlife.
    This is really irritating.

BTW: im also 14 :wink:

9. colmanic14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    perhaps its common among teens? I mean, My fear of the dark works like this: If I've seen a scary image,when I walk by darkness,my brain projects the image like its real..usually to the effect of them lurking behind me. does yours work that way as well?
    Also, The OCD thing too. For example... Ill see a line, and I'll have to run it perfectly or...lets say, that I wont do well in a concert. Is yours also similar? Im 15, so still young! :b

10. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I had OCD when I did the tapping, and thinking "my family will be safe if I do this" as I grew up I thought.. "Er.. what!?" And stopped doing it :lol:.

As for the afraid of the dark, yeah I used to watch horror movies all the time when I was a kid and that got me terrified of the dark, but I faced the fear and now I'm all good! :grin:

But theres a current fear I can't seem to beat ¬_¬

11. colmanic14

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmm? which one? 0,0