1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HIV Vaccine

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by paul7836, Jul 22, 2007.

1. paul7836

2. 24601

This is great news! Woo!

3. JSG

JSG Guest

I REALLY hope the clinical trials go well and this vaccine can be shipped to all Pharmacies as soon as possible.

I won't get exited until then.

4. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They always make a big hubbub any time some experimental HIV vaccine enters trial.

I'll take this with a grain of salt until I see some real results.

5. paul7836

I guess I just sorta jumped when i saw it on a reputable news place.:confused:

6. GuitarGirl1350

This is surely exciting, but it's probably just hype at the moment.
    The problem with creating the HIV vaccine is that you'd have to create one which covers every strain of HIV. They're proved that the HIV virus mutates every year, which would call for every person to get an HIV vaccine every year. (Kind of like how your flu vaccine only lasts a year because of new strains.) They'd need to find a virus to target some common gene amongst the many different strains of the virus and make sure that the elimination of the gene rendered the virus harmless. (Because I doubt they'd be able to come up with a new vaccine every year for the new strain. and if they did, it would be like the flu vaccine: not enough to go around, so a pecking order would be established.)
    I only know about viruses what I learned in biology, so forgive me if I'm not completely accurate.

7. crimsonarcher

8. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We had a seminar at my university recently where the genetic honours students presented their views on articles on HIV and HIV vaccines that they were assigned to read. You would not believe the number of obstacles to the development of an effective HIV vaccines.

9. EthanS

EthanS Guest

does dat mean no condom?? xD

10. Hydrogen

No... Not at all. See topic on STD's, etc.

11. Jerr

Yeah... HIV/AIDS is def not the worst of things you could get... it is just really high on the list. Yet, that is a matter of opinion, I guess. What tops each of our lists vary on what we fear the most and is based on our life experiences.

That was kinda deep.... I'm so cool. lol

12. GuitarGirl1350

Yeah, herpes would SUCK. It's incurable, painful, and nasty >.<
    So condoms are always a must.

(This coming from a lesbian...-_-...)

13. Jerr

Dental dam! lol

14. GuitarGirl1350

LOL I guess dental dams if you're just sucking him! Mouth herpes would suck more than genital herpes...
    though I don't think bleeding pussy sores on your dick would be pleasant either =P

15. TeeBe

Ever had a cold sore on your lip?? That IS herpes. *Shutter* I still think that HIV/AIDS is far worse...

16. EthanS

EthanS Guest

I think i got a cold sore now, but it i thought herpes in incurable but cold sores go:confused:

17. JayHew

In Loving Memory Regular Member

It sounds hopeful. Using the muli-protein approach also seems to give it a better chance for not being rendered ineffective by mutations of the HIV virus. Other approach I read about earlier was the finding of a site on the virus common to all the varieties that could be used to block its ability to infect. So there is a lot of hope here, but things that appear to work in the lab don't necessarily transfer to human activity. Will have to wait for the results of human trials, but certainly is an exciting development.

As for the Herpes or having a cold sore above. The cold sore is Herpes Simplex and really never goes away. The sores come and go, but the virus hibernates in the nerve endings and depending on conditions (most often stress or suppression of the body immune system) will crop out from time to time. As we get older, there seems to be less and less outcroppings of the sores. With genital herpes, it is about the same virus with some modifications seen here and there. So now is called Herpes II or Herpes Genitalia. The advent of oral sex brought about a few changes to things.

As for not needing a condom if this vaccine works, WRONG. There are a lot more diseases out there that are just as nasty and hard to deal with and yes, if not treated, can lead to death. Remember, Al Capone and a few other noted people have died from Syphilis.

The new form of Lymphogramuloma Venerium (known also before as Lymphogranuloma Inguinali) is quite destructive if not treated early. I saw one fellow age 23 with huge scars all over his groin and still had areas of abscess drainage months after being treated but the very sad part of it all, he was rendered impotent, meaning he couldn't get an erection as nerves had been destroyed.

So always be safe and always practice safe sex. It is not only HIV to worry about.

18. Jerr

See now the Lymphogramuloma Venerium is higher on the list then HIV/AIDS

19. K0msomolets

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    What bunch of big ol' tarts some of you are!!!! :roflmao:

Already thinking of ditching the condom!!! :eusa_naug

Honestly, you're incorrigible!!!!

Lol, I'm just as bad to be honest. Imagine if there were no STDs at all, things would be some much easier and more fun (!) Sadly that'll never happen so keep'em on at all times!!!!

By the way cold sores go, but that doesn't mean you don't carry the virus or that you'll never have another cold sore.

20. justjoshoh

It is worth pointing out that HSV-1 and HSV-2, the herpes virus, can be spread even when using a condom. The CDC maintains that the only ways to avoid this STD is to abstain from sex or through a mutually monogamous long-term relationship with a partner tested negative for HSV-1 and HSV-2.

Even with a condom, it is only safer sex, not safe sex.