1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emergency Room Waiting Times

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Swamp56, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

At least here in the USA...

Am I the only one to find it f**king ridiculous? Today my mom almost passed out from pain and I drove her to the E.R. and she had to be put on a stretcher and we waited almost 4 hours before we left because we would have to wait even more time to see a doctor.

When they asked her about the severity of her pain, she rated it a 10/10 and they didn't see her immediately even though she clearly showed that she was in incredible pain.

About 3 weeks ago I had gastroenteritis and I was dehydrated and sent to the E.R. by my doc and we had to wait 4.5 hours to be seen so I can get an I.V. in me for fluids. By the time they saw me, I was shaking from lack of liquids (I was throwing up everything I drank and ate).

Idk, am I the only one who finds it insane that one has to wait that long to get seen by a doctor? From what my stepfather tells me, it wasn't always like this - that they closed most of the E.R.'s in my state about 10 years ago.

2. Tiny Catastrophe

yea it is ridiculous. i live in new york and i got taken in by an ambulence and i was on oxygen and they took my oxygen and made me sit in the waiting room for hours while my lips were all blue and they kept telling my mom it was a panic attack. ive had a panic attack before and your lips dont turn blue

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess we're lucky, because there are three hospitals nearby. I don't know if it's because of that or not, but when I've taken my bf in to a hospital (had to do it a couple times), he's been seen quite fast. The one time he didn't get seen quickly was his own damn fault. He has a tough time showing "weakness" in front of others, so even though he was in a ton of pain, he maintained a calm demeanor and told the triage nurse that he had "some discomfort" instead of the buttload of pain he was actually feeling. She of course took that to mean he wasn't feeling much, and so didn't send someone around for quite some time. He quickly learned "Don't put a brave face on for the ER."

What can you do? I'd mention it to the doctor. A four-hour wait is totally unacceptable. Maybe there's another hospital you can go to?

Lex

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

@Lex

Every single hospital in my area is like that. Every. Single. One. It's insane.

There were only 2 times (out of my many E.R. visits) that I was seen quickly. One was when I overdosed on my meds and was rushed via ambulance to the hospital, and the 2nd time was when I went at 7:00 am after my psychiatrist told me to go the night before.

#4 Swamp56, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009
  5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can ask for the "patient advocate" or the hospital administrator if it's a serious issue. The ER is supposed to send someone from the admin's office or the patient advocate if you ask, and if there's a legitimate problem (as it sounds like there was in this case), then the advocate has the ability to override the triage nurse and get you seen faster.

I think 2 or 3 hours is pretty common in many parts of the country, and 4 to 5 hours is not unheard of. And people claim our healthcare is so much better than Canada. Hah.

6. epiphanies

The E.R.s around here boast of an average time of 30 minutes in the waiting room, so it definitely isn't something that is plaguing the US. The waiting times have a lot to do with being understaffed and people who are going to the ER because they don't have a primary care physician. You see this happen more in major cities than in satellite or minor cities, so waiting times aren't as bad around me.

7. Shevanel

The 2 times I've been to the hospital emergency room, one for myself, and one for my mom, it was very fast. Def under 30 minutes.

8. KaraBulut

Here's the way it works. You should be seen by a triage nurse within 15 minutes of your arrival. They should get basic registration information from you at that time. In most hospitals, you're given a triage score that puts you in one of three priority tracks- urgent, serious or minor.

Unless you're having an urgent problem- like major trauma, chest pain or a stroke, avoid the bigger hospitals. Unless you're scored as urgent, then you can expect to wait an hour to up to 4 hours wait before you are seen. Peak times in a large hospital emergency room are after 5PM on weekdays and anytime on a weekend. And in peak seasons like flu season (Dec-Feb), your stay in the emergency room may be as long as 6-12 hours.

If you have a serious issue like a cut that requires stitches, broken bones or dehydration, think about going to a smaller hospital where the patient volumes are lower. For example, there is a private surgery hospital where I live that has an emergency department that is almost always empty and their typical wait time is about 10 minutes and I tell people to go there.

If you have a minor issue like a cold or infection, consider going to a minor emergency center and not to a hospital. It will cost you about 1/2 to 1/3 as much as a hospital emergency department visit. And you will probably be in and out of there in an hour.

#8 KaraBulut, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I went to the minor emergency room of a hospital for a bad laceration I got while installing my new computer case and I waited for 2 hours :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

10. -Michael-

I think it's ridiculous.

Most powerful country in the world.
    And you don't even have free hospital treatments.

NHS FTW!!

I think it's completely mental.

11. I've been on both ends of the spectrum. I went to the emergency room with strep throat once because we were out of town and didn't have a regular doctor, and we had a really short wait even for something minor. But that was in a mountain town in Colorado off of peak season.

Home, though, well I have a story. My sister fell into a pool skimmer and hurt her toe. She was icing it and said, "Mom, it really hurts when I do this," and moved it with this horrendous cracking noise. So we went to the ER, waited an hour to be even spoken to about what had happened to her, four more hours to be taken in to see her x-rays, and another hour in the other room beforea doctor actually came in. Then we were told that from her x-rays, there was nothing wrong. Her toe had been dislocated. That cracking noise that made my mother decide to go to the ER was my sister popping it back in and fixing it herself.

12. Ionless

Guess the amount of money you pay is inversely proportional to your waiting time? Here going to the ER costs a hell lot of money (which is probably why it's mostly empty).

13. Ben

Ben

I adore the NHS. They have been really good to me.
    I spent 5 hours waiting when I went to A&E once but I didn't really mind the wait. It was kind of nice to sit down with nothing to do but think.

14. Gumtree

I have never had a waiting time for more then 4-5 minutes at ER here, and I have taken my family in numerous times (Never been to a hospital for myself though).

Plus, is Aus it's free! (unless you call an Ambo)

15. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Ya, I got the bill for when I was in the E.R. and it came to > $800, but our insurance covered it. I got rushed to the E.R. by ambulance and that bill came to $2,000 (insurance also covered it).

16. impossibleornot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm in Canada and ive been to the emeregency around 5 times, and a couple times with friends, and the minimum ive ever had to wait was 7.5 hours...and that was when my friend cut half his finger off. you see a nurse right when u walk in, but to actually see a doctor is usually 8+. The quality of care given is great!, but its just that there's alot of people without family physicians so everyone goes to the ER if their kids have a slight cough.

17. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

That's. Absolutely. Insane.

Cut off half his finger and he had to wait 7.5 hours?

18. impossibleornot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yep, it wasn't like half with bone, but sliced off most of the tissue. The nurse was able to stop the bleeding and put this giant gauze/bandage on it. But its still a ridiculously long wait before getting stitches.

19. Otsuke

... They are right!!

Canada's E.R are I.N.S.A.N.E !!! As impossibleornot said, the "normal" waiting time is 8 hours here. Sorry but I practically laughed about this "4 hours" story ... I had a lack of oxygen (which is really dangerous if it gets to the brain), plus a severe asthma problem and it took 9 hours to see a doctor. After, he sent me to a girl who took some information and said that my lungs were now really weak and that they were working at less than 30 % ... My skin was transparent and we were able to look at my veins and my circulation lol...

Anyways.. haha. E.R suck in US... but just think about Canada's E.R...

20. Emberstone

the problem is that so many people use the E.R. as their doctors office.

*flips off the republicans for not seeing that providing healthcare so people who cant afford high preimiums for insurance have options to have doctors will prevent long waits at the emergency room when people go who arent having a emergency*

do what I did... collapse a lung and go into near cardiac arrest because my body was going into shock from lack of normal oxygen levels and my vital signs plummeted. they rushed me in fast. they werent even done checking me in.