1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hey all you sleep walkers!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by 71390S, Aug 4, 2009.

1. 71390S

71390S Guest

If you sleep walk/do things in your sleep AND you lived in a dorm, how did you make sure you didn't go wandering the halls at night? I haven't walked in my sleep in a long time, but I do things like take off my shirt, open windows, organize lotion bottles, and scribble with pencils. I *think* it only happens when I haven't been sleeping well/am stressed.

Not a big problem, but I appreciate any tips :eusa_danc

2. Miles D

sorry I don't have any experience sleep walking (and therefore no advice) but I can say that if there was someone at my school who walked around our dorm half-naked, organizing lotion and doodling in his sleep, I'd pretty much think it was the best thing ever :grin:

(even though I realize it could be an issue...)

3. mattypants

i wish i had tips, but all i've is a recount...
    my brother used to sleep walk... at first in the house, but a few times he actually made it outside and into the car...where he fell asleep xD

apparently, he just stopped out of nowhere like he started... so... yeah. useless info :slight_smile:

4. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Jam the door with a rubber stopper. By the time the door is opened, you probably would have woken. And then place huge bells on the door. Double layer of protection.

When I sleep walk, if someone asks me if I am sleepwalking, I always answer no. So telling other people in advance that I do sleepwalk, and to just direct me to my bed does not work.

My friends though love to film me when I sleep walk because I do some funny stuff. So I guess the best advice is to buy some really good looking pajamas. XD

5. willg4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    OMG yeah i had this bowl of like, seeds, in my bedroom, and i had this dream where i was sowing seeds on a farm lol.. and anyways, in the morning i found the seeds everywhere around my house. Thats the only time I remember, but my parents say i do it more... Luckily i dont do anything dangerous hehe

6. silentsound

I am a sleepwalker. I did it a lot more often when I was a little kid, but I do it once in a blue moon now and more often my first few nights in a new place. I have lived in dorm settings many times before for various reasons and there are a few tricks I have picked up over the years for dealing with it:

1. Tell your roommate. Many people don't grow up around sleepwalkers (unlike my poor brother who once woke up to me kicking him in the stomach after I crawled into bed with him a few hours before...but I digress) and therefore won't immediately understand what is happening. Explain to him that it doesn't happen often, but it has happened in the past and you just want him to be aware of it. If people around you know, they will think twice if they hear you opening a door or window in the middle of the night and ultimately help to keep you safe. It's also a courtesy to them so you don't scare them by, say, rummaging through their desk at 4 am.

2. Drink lots of water. This is weird, but I find I tend to sleepwalk more if I am dehydrated.

3. Eat well. I know it's hard especially at first in college, but try to keep processed foods and red meats to a minimum, as these can trigger sleepwalking.

4. Try to relieve stress. Exercising is a great way to get out some of your tension which can lead to sleepwalking.

5. Relax. Don't go to bed each night convinced you are going to wake up naked in the quad. You say you haven't done it in a long time, and in all likelihood that will hold true. If you're stressing about it you're more likely to do it.

Good luck! I am sure you will be fine!

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Sleep walkers are creepy!.. I find it scary I hope i NEVER live with one since your not suppose to wake them up?? or something.

8. 71390S

71390S Guest

^ lol

Thanks you guys! These are awesome tips and stories ^_^

9. Double Dubya

The last time I woke up during sleepwalking, I had cut leg holes in my roommate's backpack and was wearing it like a pair of pants... I bought him a new backpack... He moved out =/

10. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I used to sleepwalk a lot. I once tried to use the bathroom in the dishwasher at my old house xD .

Nothing happens if you wake up someone who's sleepwalking.

11. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

I used to sleep walk lots, once I got myself down off a top buck out side and down a flight of stairs without hurting my self or waking up. Another time I got my self stuck in my closet (now looking back that is quiet ironic :grin:) and my mum had to rescue me.