1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health Insurance

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Swamp56, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

As most of you know, I'm batshit crazy lol. I need to have a psychiatrist and a therapist to handle most of my medications and diagnoses, as well as keeping me inline and committing me if I get out of control.

So, now that I'm moving from Boston, MA => West Hartford, CT, I need to change both therapist and psychiatrist. I called up my health insurance (Tufts) to get a referral and the woman on the phone said to me, "Sorry Sir, you're only covered in Massachusetts unless it's urgent care".

What the hell.

This means I'm not covered at all when I'm out here, meaning that we're gonna end up having to pay for a therapist and psychiatrist out of pocket. To give you an idea of the cost, to see a psychiatrist, each appointment is about $200-$300. I need to see one at least 6 times per year, and therapy appointments aren't much cheaper. Issue with therapist is that I need to see one weekly, which will end up costing us ridiculous amounts of money.

Not sure what we're gonna end up doing, but we can't go w/o health insurance covering me for a therapist and psychiatrist, or the bills will be monstrous >_> .

#1 Swamp56, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  2. moirai

Why don't you just talk to your mom or dad about switching health insurance providers?

3. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    (*hug*)

This is the real bitch about privatized healthcare. Not the waiting 4 hours in ER.

Are you going to collage? I know here at least the student unions offer drug plans, etc.

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

My dad gets his insurance free because he's in the IBEW Union, and he's not eligible for a new plan until next year.

I'm looking into the health plans provided by the school which seem ridiculously cheap (like $330 for the whole year). It also covers outpatient and inpatient mental health care (both of which I need / have needed).

#4 Swamp56, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2009
  5. Miles D

Well I get health care through my school (it's pretty limited..) but it does include seeing a therapist as many times a week as I need. (which is only once a week, currently.) So see what your school has, because usually they have some sort of health care. :grin:

6. Como

Como Guest

This is what I was going to recommend. Go with the school's health care. It makes things so much easier (esp when it comes to dealing with the on campus clinic).