1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coffee stomachaches

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Katherine, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Every time I drink coffee (even if it's just a little bit) I start feeling sick (nausea, stomach pains) and end up spending most of the rest of my day in a bathroom. It's no fun.

I was just wondering exactly why this is. Why can certain people drink coffee and not others? Is it the caffeine in the coffee, or something else? I've noticed that I get the same symptoms if I drink more than 1-2 servings of something with caffeine in it (like soda). Or are they two separate things?

I've also heard that you can buy special coffee that's made for people who're sensitive to it...does it work? And what's different about it from regular coffee?

Just wondering.

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually have a similar issue with caffeine myself. I gave up all forms of it about 7-8 months ago and now when I drink even the tiniest sip of it I spend the remainder of the day in the bathroom because I just feel so sick to my stomach. I always just figured it was the carbonation, but I don't really know :confused: I do know that caffeine can irritate the stomach, so it is probably that.

3. Como

Como Guest

It does two things to upset your stomach and keep you locked up in the loo.

First it increases the secretion of acid in your stomach (this is the nausea feeling). This is kind of like when you get nervous about something and then your tummy starts to feel funny.

Second, it causes the muscles in your bowels to relax, which inhibits your bodies ability to hold it all back (you catching my drift).

Honestly, the more regularly you drink caffeine the less regularly you have to deal with these things. The main thing that caffeine does, besides give you a little energy boost, is make you have to pee (especially when you drink lots of it).

4. darkestknight

The strange thing about coffee is... I drank it and my hands trembled a bit, and feels a wee bit hyperactive. Sometimes, it gaves me minor upsets which results in farts, but that was still OK. :roflmao:

5. KaraBulut

Coffee has a triple whammy that can affect different people in different ways.

The most common thing that people think of is the caffeine. It is true that any stimulant, including caffeine, will speed up the motility of the GI tract. But a lot of people still have problems- even with decaf coffee.

There are two other properties that coffee has- it is acidic and in some people, coffee beans act as a irritant to the GI tract.

For people who have gastro-esophageal reflux (aka GERD), the acidity of coffee can make their reflux more noticeable.

But for some people, substance in the coffee bean (which transfers to brewed coffee) irritate the bowel to the point that it acts in a way similar to a natural laxative like senna or castor oil. People with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) are often advised to avoid coffee for this reason.